Friday, March 18, 2016

Time and time again

It's that time of year again. The swallows are returning to Capistrano and I am sending an email like this:

Dear Bud's teacher,

I'm sorry to hear that Bud has been having a tough week at school. I have to admit, I'm not entirely surprised. As I think we've discussed before, Bud typically struggles after the Daylight Saving Time change. I'm not sure if it's because his body is adjusting to meds at a new time, or because he's having sleep disturbances related to the time shift, or because he's feeling dissonance from being asked to do one thing when his biological clock is telling him that it's time to do another. I suspect it's probably a combination of all of that.

Whatever the reason, whether we gain an hour or lose an hour, it's inevitably dysregulating for Bud. I'm hopeful that things will improve once he's fully adjusted to the time change. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

MOM-NOS

I have to say, I don't blame him a bit. Is there anyone who doesn't get thrown off by Daylight Saving Time? And as for the issues at school, as my friend Kiki says, Bud is just actually doing what the rest of us really want to do.

Let's hope the coming weekend gives us all a much needed re-set.

Please note: The information in this post is shared with Bud's express permission.

1 comment:

Jessie Citterman said...

I’m studying to be a special education major at ISU, and it's always interesting to read blog posts like this which point out something so seemingly obvious which I had not thought of. It makes a lot of sense why Daylight Savings would have a marked effect on students, but it had never occurred to me. Hopefully by reading your post and becoming more aware of it, I will be more understanding as a teacher. Thank you for sharing Bud's story! I hope he's acclimating quickly. I look forward to reading other blog posts of yours in the future!