Monday, December 14, 2015

Smart cards

So much to fill you in on, blogosphere friends. Bud has had a stupendous first semester of high school, and there are many stories just itching to be told.

Alas, they will have to wait, as 'tis the season and there are other, more pressing things that need my attention - the wrapping, the baking, the last minute how-could-I-have-forgottens, and, of course, the sending of the Christmas cards.

It's that last bit that made me step away from all the other pressing to-dos to tell you a story that's about a year old, but whose time has come.

You see, last year, many of my friends did not receive a holiday card from me. Instead, they got an e-mail - and this is what it said:

Hi friends,

If this were a blog post, it would be titled Why You Are Not Getting A Holiday Card From Me This Year.

As always, it’s a long story.

Though the task kept getting shuffled to the bottom of the to-do list, I actually did order cards this year. This was a big year, after all, and it’s the first year that I planned to send a card from my new family – Bud and me, and Brian and his son Buster. I’d hoped to get a picture of the two boys together in front of the tree, but that Christmas miracle never happened (as Buster continues to be 3 and Bud continues to avoid 3-year-olds), so we had to settle for separate, but happy, pictures of the boys.

Anyway, we only had one weekend while the tree was up and Buster was here, so I scrambled to get the picture taken, the card designed, and the order placed, remembering to order a bunch of the Happy Holidays version in addition to a handful of Merry Christmases.

The key word in that last sentence, of course, is "scrambled."

Honestly. I scrambled.

The cards arrived, giving me about 48 hours to get them in the mail and have them get to their destinations in time for Christmas. I was feeling undeservedly smug, and I proudly showed the fruits of my labor to Brian, as I awaited the adulation I was sure would follow.

Instead, he took one look at the card and said, “Oh no. Did they do that or did we?”

And then I looked again, more carefully, and discovered that I’d transposed the vowels in my beloved fiance’s name, and while he is certainly an intelligent man, he was not fond of the idea of having our cards go out from Mary and Brain and the kids.

So, the handful of Merry Christmas cards that arrived free of typos have gone out to the aunties and uncles and Christmas card purists, and this heartfelt, but paper-free wish for a happy holiday goes to the rest of you – those I know will understand; those who love me despite – perhaps because of – my unflagging propensity for human foible.

Happy holidays, my friends. Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, Bright Solstice, and truly, all good things in the year ahead. I don’t know what I’d do without you.

Much love,

Mary (and Brain)

P.S. See what I did there?

1 comment:

VTBudFan said...

Ha ha ha! This is so funny! I foresee many years of Brain jokes.