Friday, September 11, 2015


Tonight at bedtime, Bud told me that in social studies today, he wrote about how he felt about the anniversary of September 11. I asked him if he knew what happened on September 11, and he answered with a portion of a script from Mister Rogers. Then he told me that is was a sad day and that people were scared and people were hurt.

I told him he was right.

I told him that he was very little on September 11. He wasn't even two years old.

I told him that when the sad things were happening on September 11, he and I were at Kindermusik. I told him that it was a class we took with other moms and kids.

"It was Kindermusik with a k," he said.

"That's right, it was," I said, a bit surprised.

"My teacher's name was Meredith," he said. "What was her last name?"

I told him.

"And we were at Mrs. H's church," he said.

"That's right," I said. "That's where the Kindermusik class was."

"We were singing and dancing," he said.

"Yes," I said. "We were."

Does Bud remember Kindermusik independent of September 11, or is the class etched into his mind because it is connected to that event for him, as it is for me? Though he was too young to understand what was happening that day, could he tell from the rest of us that it was a day we would remember forever? I have no idea.

All I know is that we all remember where we were that day.

Even Bud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have come back to blogging. Congratulations on your marriage!