Thursday, June 20, 2013

In tonight's performance, the role of Bud will be played by David Rudman

For weeks now, Bud has been telling me, "When I'm 14, I will be voiced by David Rudman."  David Rudman is the voice of Jack on Jack's Big Music Show and the voice of Baby Bear on Sesame Street. 

The concept of voicing - and the associated lengthy, in-depth discussions about voicing - are not new for Bud.  He has long been interested in who does which voices in his favorite shows.  Did you know, for instance, that Robin Stevens, who plays Grandpapa on Boohbah is also the voice of Tom on Tots TV as well as the voice of Jim on Rosie and Jim and that he also did the voice of the Singing Man in the Pink House in the British version of that segment from the Teletubbies?  And, as an aside, if you live anywhere other than the UK and you are not Bud, have you ever heard of most of those programs?  No, I didn't think so.  But, believe me, if you lived with Bud, you would know more about them than you ever dreamed there was to know.

But back to David Rudman.  I have to admit, I hear so much about who-does-which-voices that I really didn't pay much attention to the "When I'm 14, I will be voiced by David Rudman" announcement the first several times I heard it.  But the other day, something clicked with me when Bud said it.

Bud will be 14 in September.  His body has started to change and I have started talking to him about the changes yet to come.  You will have more hair on your body.  You will get taller.  You'll start to shave.

Your voice will change.

Ah.

I'm not sure how Bud got from his voice changing to David Rudman, but I'm certain that's the connection.  I don't know if he thinks he gets to choose this new voice that will be his, or if he thinks that before long, someone else will start doing his vocal work for him.  I don't know if he just supposes that he'll have the sort of kid-like grown-up voice that David Rudman has given to Jack.  Or maybe he just thinks David Rudman's voice is cool and "When I'm 14, I will be voiced by David Rudman" is the Bud version of "When I grow up, I'm going to be an astronaut."

So, to cover all bases, I've started to shift the conversation.  Your voice will sound different, but it will still be your voice.  It will just be deeper and more manly.  You won't choose a new voice; the new voice will just happen.  It might not happen when you're 14.  You may be older than that.  It will just happen when the time is right.

Bud has listened politely and humored me as I've fumbled my way through the explanations.  But we both know that he's having none of it.  As far as he's concerned, the matter is settled.  When he is 14, he will be voiced by David Rudman.

I just hope that David is ready.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love your blog..My son is 7 and he has PDD NOS and he and Bud have many similarities. You and Bud always make me smile

Cheryl said...

The innocence is just beautiful. How lucky we are to be able to keep this gift with all the challenges autism can bring. I think it's a great choice for a 14 year old voice.

drama mama said...

When I am 50, I will be voiced by Elaine Stritch. I've maintained this for years.

Bud continues to amaze and impress me with his auditory skills.

Meredith said...

Truly awesome. I love it. My son (ASD) is almost 4 and I can totally see him saying something like that in 10 years.

kristen spina said...

I love him. What a great kid.

LaurenAct513 said...

We are going through that type of thing with our now 11 yo. He has precocious puberty, so he is dealing with some of this stuff already. He keeps talking about males getting more and more hairy as they get older. Fun. Oh, and I probably know as much about logos and when they were changed for different brands and how they relate to each other as you do about voice actors. Funny what they get obsessed with.

Danielle said...

My 15yo son with autism knows every voice character to every Pixar movie, and most of the other "Pixar-like" files as well. Still trying to think how he can make a living with this talent!