Saturday, July 07, 2012

Down in the jungle room

Sometimes I feel like Elvis.

And not in a good way.

Have you ever been to Graceland?  I went there in 1989.  It was only 12 years after his death, but the house, frozen in time on the day he died, looked dated.  Kitschy.  It was all former glory and used-to-be.

I haven't been back there since.  Maybe it's so dated now, it's hip and retro, but I doubt it.  Now, I'd have to guess, the shag carpets and the fabric-covered ceilings are immeasurably tackier than they were when they were new.

And yeah - sometimes I feel the same way when I visit this blog.

I'm all shag carpets and fabric-covered ceilings over here.

I started blogging in 2005, among the first wave of autism parent-bloggers.  I like to think I was cutting edge at the time.  I kept up with the Jones's for a couple of years, until my life took a sudden turn and my blog was shuffled on to the back burner, and the template became frozen in time.

Autism parent-blogging has exploded since then.  We have to be into the 5.0 version by now, at least.  The latest wave of blogs are draw-you-in shiny.  So, it seems, every time I pop over here and think about adding something new, the blog stares back at me, pleading for some attention, and I end up clicking away to see what someone shinier has to offer.

So my goal in the coming weeks is to bring the blog a few years into the future.  I'm not going to shoot for current - that's just too far to go - but maybe we could reach somewhere around, say, 2010.  And then maybe I'll be ready to add a little new content as well.

Anyway, if you should visit in the next few weeks, don't be alarmed if the site looks different day-to-day.  I have no vision for it, so I'm just going to play around.  But, don't worry - it doesn't mean that I've been hacked.

Just T.C.B., baby.  T.C.B.

20 comments:

Anon said...

Your words were missed!
Linda

Gemma said...

You are FAR from dated and kitchy! Your writing is sure and true. I would love to read more from you and I'm dying to learn how Bud is doing...and very much hoping for "fabulous".

Karen said...

don't you dare get rid of the three tvs and the lightning bolt!

jess said...

dated and kitchy are the new black. you're so out you're more in than anyone i know.

joking aside, i've missed your perspective and your beautiful writing. i'm excited to follow wherever you go.

Kim said...

Your words mean so much more than how fresh your site is. I've missed reading you, and look forward to seeing what you do next.

Niksmom said...

I've said it before and 'll say it again...and again and again. I'd read the phone book if you wrote it, girl! ;-)

I'll keep hanging around because it's what we old-time bloggers do, right? (Funny, I was just re-reading some of my posts from 5+ years ago. I'm with you on feeling a bit dated. *sigh*)

Maddy said...

Glad to hear it.

Cheryl said...

You could chisel it on the side of a cave like a cro magnon chick and I'd read every word. Your words have lifted me, spoken to me, made me laugh, taught me. I don't care what the site looks like. :-)

gail said...

I'd like to have the knowledge to change mine!

KAL said...

Hey! I've missed you.

Tammy said...

I agree. your words are more important. However, tweeking your blogs look is easy. You don't have to do much. Sometimes simple is better. Add a header and change the color of the background. Just don't change the great content. That's what keeps everyone coming back, not the look.

Anonymous said...

I used to visit your blog regularly. It was one of several sources of support in thinking about my son with autism. Thank you for sharing, all these years. Your years of experience and fine writing here are a long,wonderful chronicle that are better than shiny new formats and slick ads.

I had not visited your blog for a long time, and just thought of it again today. Best wishes to you and Bud. I will be pleased to read your blog, whatever the format.

natalie said...

The entire time I was reading this, I kept expecting you to say you weren't going to be blogging anymore. So glad that's not the case! I love reading your posts, regardless of what the blog looks like.

Anonymous said...

Following a new diagnosis I've read MANY blogs - this is the one I keep coming back to. Please keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those people that finds comfort in sameness. I think everything looks as good as the day I found your site. (I don't even know how many years ago it was). Whatever you do I'm sure it'll be great. I'm looking forward to hearing your voice again as often as you're able to write.

Manic Mom said...

New here, I was told to check out your blog from someone on www.myautismteam.com
My daughter is 12 and has not responded well to her 5 yr old brother having aspergers. It's pretty painful most days, because she gets sooooo angry with him and has an ants' a** of patience with him. I posted a question about this hoping for a little guidance and I was told to read about your trip to Buds classroom. I could cry, because the whole toaster/hairdryer thing seemed to be a huge eye opener for her. I just read it all with her today. So, it's kind of early to say she's "healed" HAHAHAHA But, today was one of the best, most understanding days between the two of them I've seen in a long time. Thank you so much for posting your talk with the class. It helped her and her older brother kind of see the similarities they share and why there are some differences. Thank you again. I share about Kaden here.... www.kadensaspergerworld.blogspot.com

Janine White said...

I think this is the best one I have come across regarding life with autism. And I don't care about shiny looks more than amazing writing. Thank you for sharing your life with Bud with the rest of us!

Tammy said...

I want to go to Graceland with the family.

Club 166 said...

Content is king.

Keep on rocking.

Joe

Ania said...

http://adf.ly/2Fycf
Introducing Ruth, an Adult on the Autism Spectrum