Monday, October 11, 2010

Destination: Hopeful Parents

It's a good thing that I signed on as a contributing writer for Hopeful Parents. That commitment has given me a deadline for posting every month - and in recent months, the Hopeful Parents deadline has been doubling my output here.

So far, this month is no exception.

I do want to thank those of you who have e-mailed me privately. No, nothing is wrong, and no, I'm not abandoning this blog. It's just been hectic around here as both Bud and I adjust to the routine of a new academic year. In addition to my full-time job at the college, I'm also teaching two online writing classes to students who are studying in Europe. I'm working on an outside writing project. And on top of all that, I'm reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - which, somehow, keeps finding itself on the top of my "to do" list despite the many other things that need to be done.

So, the Hopeful Parents deadline has been good for me. Today is the 11th - which means I have another post up. It's a post that has been languishing in draft form over here for months - one that I started writing early this summer, after I bought my first GPS.

If you read it, you'll see that I advise you never to take direction from me. But, really, you can trust me on this one: If you want to find it, just click here.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can empathize with your plight (though I didn't realize you taught college writing). Without deadlines it can be difficult to keep up with all the writing projects I want to do, including blogging. I'm also re-reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Alas, there just aren't enough hours in the day, but then again, there never were.

SarahSue said...

My sense of direction is awful as well! And sometimes I feel like my sense of direction while navigating this world of autism is even worse! Thanks for your encouragement.

Anonymous said...

It is ironic that I visit here tonight and read about the spectrum of autism, because I too am consumed lately by a spectrum. This one involves the range of people from feminine to masculine and everything in between. See, I have twin sons. One is so heavily into sports and "guy" things. The other, not so into sports, occasionally into "guy" things but also LOVES Miley Cyrus and wants long hair. Since he was two he has worn blankets on his head as if to create a feeling of long hair. He has revisited this recently. He sometimes feels "out of place" with what he perception of what a boy "should" do or not do. So, one night it hit me on how t help him feel a sense of belonging (thank goodness). Imagine that all of us fall onto one of the colors of the rainbow. Girlie girls are in the reddest and the boyest of boys in the purplest parts of the rainbow. Now imagine that most of us fall in the middle colors. That sparked a long discussion about where G's friends all sit on the rainbow.He told me which friends are on the orange or the yellow or the green colors. A few days later he let me know that the rainbow "made him feel better." What more could I ask? Thank god there are people in all colors of the rainbow because it would be a very dull rainbow indeed with only red and purple. Here is to spectrums! Mrs. Nee

MOM-NOS said...

HOORAY, Mrs. Nee! Here's to spectrums, indeed! And here's to moms who TOTALLY get it and know how important it is to celebrate our children exactly as they are. Our world is more beautiful because we all sit in different places on the rainbow. I'm so glad that your boys have you to help them see how beautiful they both are - each in his own way.

Joanne said...

My disabled child absolutely loves music. It puts a big smile on his face, so lately I’ve decided to use it to aid in his development. Multi-sensory toys, ones that engage multiple senses, are a great way to help him have fun and learn at the same time. I found this resource for multi-sensory toys and activities and I thought you’d like to review it too.
http://yellowbrickroadshop.com/PW_MultiSensoryToys.asp