Saturday, January 30, 2010

Upside down and backwards

At 5:00 this morning, I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of the fact that it was Saturday and sleep in a bit. Bud had other ideas, though, and was up and about, checking in with me every four to six minutes to see if it was time for breakfast yet.

We finally got ourselves up and moving (by which I mean, I finally got myself up and moving) and we had a nice morning at home. After lunch, we headed out for an afternoon of errands. Our first stop was the pharmacy, but when I pulled into the parking lot and looked in the rear view mirror, I saw that Bud was out cold. I decided to let him sleep, since he'd been up so early, and I left the car running so the inside would be toasty warm as he snoozed.

After about a half hour, I realized that this wasn't just a catnap, and when I saw my friend Kiki in the parking lot, I was happy to roll down the window to talk to her, letting the arctic air flow into the car, hoping it would start to revive Bud.

He slumbered on.

After another fifteen minutes, I turned off the car. I opened the door and let the "your keys are in the ignition" bell chime. I called Bud's name.

He didn't move.

I knew that if I woke him and tried to carry on with our errands, I would cause an avalanche of difficult behavior and would wish I were back in the car with a sleeping boy. I abandoned our errands, started the car back up, and drove home.

By the time we pulled into the garage, Bud had been asleep for nearly two hours. I woke him gently and he stumbled out of the car and into the house. He fumbled out of his jacket, then fell face first onto the couch and fell back to sleep.

Two hours later, well past the time he normally has dinner, I woke him gently, and he got up to eat.

Then he discovered just how refreshing a long afternoon nap can be.

Bud normally goes to bed by 8:00 p.m. He takes nighttime medication that normally makes him sleepy.

I gave him his regular meds around 8:15. It's currently 9:30.

He's acting like it's noon.

This ought to be an interesting night.

10 comments:

drama mama said...

I just got shivers down my spine.

Hope you have a good book. Or movie.

Robin said...

good luck~ I hope as I write this you are both in bed asleep! (9:03 PM PST)

goodfountain said...

I hope the two of you got some decent sleep. I'm afraid Monday is going to be a long day now.

kristenspina said...

Ugh! The nap is to be avoided at all costs. My guy was sick Friday, so I suggested a nap around 2pm, he agreed, slept for two hours and then was up all night. It simply doesn't pay.

pixiemama said...

Seriously opposed to any napping (other than my own, of course) in this house.

Hope you got some sleep.

xo

Niksmom said...

Ruh-Roh! Hope you both got some sleep. Early to bed tonight?

Brenda said...

Oh, I feel ya! We were up at 4 this morning! But here's no way I'm letting him nap ... or we, too, would be up all night. Get thee to bed, woman.

Claire said...

Oh yikes... now to get the sleep schedule back on track again... I am so sorry- hope that Sunday was better?

MOM-NOS said...

Thanks, all, for the sympathy and empathy. All things considered, we recovered well. Bud fell asleep just before midnight, slept through to 6:00 a.m., and went to bed at his regular time tonight.

Right side up and forward.

Stimey said...

Those afternoon naps are killers. :)