Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti

This afternoon, I spoke to a student who was scheduled to return to campus this evening. She is currently living in the U.S., but is originally from Haiti. Her mother and brothers are there right now. She has not been able to reach them. Some of my colleagues have spoken to other students who are in similar situations.

Tonight, I am watching the images coming out of Haiti and I'm listening to the news. My heart is heavy.

The Red Cross is making it easy to donate to the response efforts: you can make a $10 donation by texting "Haiti" to 90999. My money is on its way. And so are my prayers.

6 comments:

Teal said...

When a disaster of this proportion hits the poorest country in the world, I have to wonder how there could possibly be some "cosmic" reason for it. My heart goes out to everyone in or connected to Haiti. Kudos to you, Momnos, for bringing attention and your support to this tragedy.

Robin said...

My hometown has a large Haitian population. My heart is breaking for them and their loved ones.

Israel is sending over a disaster response team as well. Sadly, we have altogether too much experience pulling people out of collapsed buildings.

jess wilson said...

just hit publish on m,y own version of this .. it's just incomprehensible .. truly

Dr. Claire said...

I hope people remember Doctors Without Borders- they're on the ground treating people right now... absolutely heartbreaking.

MOM-NOS said...

Some great news in the midst of this tragedy: the student has heard from her mother and brothers. They are safe.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

WONDERFUL news about your student! Thanks for letting us know the update ... I cannot imagine having a loved one there in the midst of such devastation. Terrible.