Friday, January 01, 2010

Be it resolved

I'm usually not one for New Year's resolutions, but I have to say - I'm looking at my blog stats for 2009 and they're making me feel positively resolute.

It seems I only had 31 posts in all of 2009.

Thirty-one.

Three-one.

That's all.

The number stands there in my sidebar in stark contrast to the 227 posts I wrote in my most prolific blogging year, 2006, when I had 31 posts in a single month - November. That was the month I participated in NaBloPoMo, National Blog Posting Month, in which bloggers resolved to post every day for an entire month. Does NaBloPoMo even exist anymore? I have no idea. I've fallen so far off the blogging wagon I'm not even sure what other bloggers are doing these days.

Now, I'm not getting down on myself for not posting regularly in 2009. There are lots of reasons - lots of good reasons - why I didn't. But there are three things that occur to me as I contemplate the number 31.

First, I think that, for me, a scarcity of posts is a phenomenon that feeds on itself. There is a game my brain plays with itself, that goes something like this: if I'm only going to have one post a month, my brain contends, then it better be a darned good post. When I'm posting a couple of times a week, I don't feel the same kind of self-imposed pressure. I can post a little nothing sort of post, secure in the knowledge that it will drop from top billing in just a couple of days. Not so when I think it might stay there for weeks on end. As a result, most things don't feel post-worthy, and even more time passes between posts.

Second, I miss blogging. I miss the mental exercise of writing. I miss the regular interaction with the blogging community.

And most importantly, third, I think I'm a better parent - a more mindful parent - when I'm blogging than when I'm not blogging. When I'm blogging, I reflect more on the everyday as I parse through our life and think about where to shine the blogging spotlight. And then, more often than not, the very act of trying to give those moments shape by putting them into words forces me to look at things differently, to make connections I might otherwise miss, to discover things I didn't know I knew.

So, I'm resolving. I'm not ready to make a year-long resolution, but I am prepared to start a little BloPoMo of my own, in hopes of finding my BloPo mojo again.

I'll be posting every day in January. I may not have anything at all to say, but I will be logging in, writing down, and hitting publish. Feel free to ignore them - I may end up with a whole lot of posts about what I had for lunch.

But I'll tell you this for sure: in 2010, I'll be hitting at least 32.

18 comments:

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Yay ... glad to have you back! Seriously, though, we understand your reasons for taking a break. They were - and are - very good reasons. Still, it is nice to have you back posting again.

Happy New Year to you and Bud and all your loved ones!

kristina said...

Looking forward to those 31 more.....at least!..... posts. My 2010 is already better knowing you and the blog are Back.

kristenspina said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

I have missed you! My boys are now men and much of where you are is well-remembered and fun to reflect upon. Plus you saw Barack in New Hampshire. Welcome back.
(your) Anon

goodfountain said...

Yay! I wasn't around in your heyday of 2006 (although I have gone back and read most of your blog), so if you start posting more now, I'll feel like I'm part of it.

How's that for making your posting all about me?

Happy New Year to you and Bud!

Jeni said...

Always good to see a blogger who's been pretty quiet surface again. Don't make your standards for your comeback too stringent or you may set yourself up to fail -if failure to post is a "failure" per se. But I think you know how I mean that. Anyway, just have a Happy New Year, blog as you can and enjoy the writing of those posts in the future too!

Niksmom said...

I once heard a radio announcer say about Gary LeVox (lead singer for Rascal Flatts), "Man, I'd listen to him sing the phone book, he's THAT good!"

That's how I feel about your writing. Can't wait to read about your lunches. ;-)

Happy New Year! And welcome back; you've been sorely missed. xoxo

Robin said...

Welcome back, it's good to see you again.

Club 166 said...

I don't actually feel that you've been gone. I mean, the post about Bud and Dierks could satisfy me for at least 6 months, all by itself.

That being said, I (like everyone else) eagerly await what you have to offer in 2010.

Joe

pixiemama said...

Hurray!
xo

Bea said...

I'm in the same plight with the self-imposed pressure - but I don't think I'm brave enough to promise a post per day. But the fact that YOU are is the best New Year's gift yet!

Pia said...

Excellent! I am looking forward to the blog-blitz. I am working on improving mine as well. I agree that the process of blogging makes me more aware of parenting. I often find myself mulling over the days events and looking at my responses. It is a good exercise in self awareness!

Pia

KAL said...

January is going to be a good month.

Stimey said...

Awesome. I'll be here reading.

So. What DID you have for lunch?

cathy said...

Lucky us! FWIW, I thoroughly enjoyed all 31 of your posts in 2009. Looking forward to more!

Lori at Spinning Yellow said...

Having not posted in nearly 6 months, I completely know what you mean! The longer time goes on, I not only feel that pressure, but I also get stage fright. Anyway, I am making a resolution to blog more regularly this year. I just haven't posted about it yet!

Robin said...

well I enjoy everything you have written this past year.
It is nice to get the glimpses into yours and Bud's life.

David said...

OK, well if 31 posts for all of 2009 was a BAD thing somehow, I'm not seeing it ... As your other readers say, hooray for this resolution!