Saturday, December 12, 2009

Heart prints

Winter has finally arrived and the year's first snowfall meant that we had to haul the winter garb out of storage before we could make a trip to the grocery store. Bud pulled on his boots and climbed into the car, but we were only a few feet into the store before he let out a howl of pain.

"Ow!" he yelled. "My foot!"

I leaned down to pull off his boot. "Where does it hurt, Bud?" I asked.

"My heart hurts!" he wailed.

My own heart skipped a beat. "Your HEART hurts?"

"My FOOT heart," he said, grabbing his foot and pointing to the bottom.

And then my own heart melted.

"Oh, honey," I said. "Not heart."

"Not heart?"

"No, not your heart. Your sole."

17 comments:

pixiemama said...

Oh my gosh.

Heart/soul/sole. Tell me these kids aren't almost otherworldly...

Jordan said...

Oh, how sweet. I love this!

kristina said...

Heart melt.

mothersvox said...

I [heart/sole] Bud.

Stimey said...

Your kid is pretty darn cool.

KAL said...

Wow. Love it.

JoyMama said...

Heart & sole... I fell in love with you heart & sole...

Robin said...

just one big ahhh :)
I miss snow (well not shoveling but I do miss the snow fall)

Niksmom said...

Love.Your.Son!

kristenspina said...

Beautiful heart and sole!!

The Muser (aka Beautiful Mama) said...

What a great story! How sweet.

Accidental Expert said...

This is so cute. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

My son asked me one time if hearts were coming out of his mouth when he hugged me. You know... like the ones that Sally has when she thinks of Linus on the Peanuts.

Maddy said...

Fabulous! Hoping you guys have very happy holiday.

Rachel said...

That is SO beautiful. Wow.

drama mama said...

God, I love him.

Kim said...

Wow, I stumbled across this story looking for info an Dierks' upcoming album and I was just floored! I knew Dierks was a very nice, down to earth guy, but this just solidifies him as my absolute favorite artist!