Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Super connectivity

Sometimes, I think things and Bud says them out loud. I've gotten used to it. But I'm still scratching my head over what happened a couple of mornings ago.

Bud crept into my room in the pre-dawn hours, as he often does, for his last few hours of sleep. I woke, saw him sleeping soundly, then fell back into a deep sleep and started dreaming.

I was sitting in the passenger's seat of a friend's minivan. The van was crammed full of furniture, and my friend had the back open and was trying to fit more furniture in. Just then, the van started rolling and I realized that it wasn't in park. I reached over to try to shift, but discovered that the minivan had a manual transmission, and I didn't know how to work it. The space between my seat and the driver's seat was so full that I couldn't climb over to step on the brake. The van picked up speed and was careening out of control, and I knew that it was about to crash when -

I woke up.

At precisely the same moment, Bud leapt out of bed, bolted to the top of the stairs, and shouted, "Are you okay, Nana?"

We both listened to the silence that told me that everyone else in the house was still asleep. Bud walked back into the room and said calmly, "Papa must have dropped something."

There are probably a lot of reasonable explanations here that don't involve mind-reading. But I have to tell you, there's only one explanation that makes sense to me:

Bud was awoken by the sound of the crash in my dream.

7 comments:

Robin said...

weirder things happen!
I think it is cool that you and Bud have such a close connection that he is dreaming your dreams.

On an off-side I called my grandparents Nana and Papa- :) never realized Bud did too!

gretchen said...

goosebumps

kyra said...

wow. super entrainment!

pixiemama said...

That's amazing.

Jaime said...

That's beautiful. Of my 3 children, only my youngest, who has autism, seems to read my mind. In pregnancy, babyhood, and now at age 4, if I think of him while he is sleeping, he awakes. If I think of him while he is awake, he comes to me. Very strange, and very special.

Drama Mama said...

oh hell yes. m does stuff like this all the time.

our kids have superpowers.

they're the coolest kind of superheroes.

Daisy said...

yes, stranger things have happened. He is definitely connected to you.