Saturday, June 06, 2009

Love you like dishevel

Oh, how I love Bud's mondegreens - those misheard lyrics that are even more fun than the originals.

Bud and I climbed a nearby mountain today, and we had the trail to ourselves for most of the 3.6 mile round trip - so, for much of the hike, the woods were alive with the sound of singing. Bud chose the music - all Dierks Bentley, all the time.

I should tell you that sing-alongs with Bud smack a little bit of totalitarian rule. Bud is a lyrics purist and he has every note of every song he's ever heard committed to memory. (Okay, that's an exaggeration - but not by much.) Anyway, heaven help me if I sing a "so" when I should have sung an "and," or if I substitute a "whoop" for a "yep" - I am stopped, and corrected, and we start the phrase over from the top.

I've had theater directors who were less directive.

But, for the most part, I'm good with lyrics and I take direction well, so our songfest was bumping happily along. Imagine my delight, though, when Bud launched into the song "Lot of Leavin' Left To Do" and got to the lyric that says,

Girl, you look like you might be an angel, so I won't lie;
I could love you like the devil, if you wanted me to tonight,

but the Arbiter Of All Things Lyrical burst forth with "Girl, you look like you might be an agent, so I won't lie."

I loved it! An agent! Coupled with the love-you-like-the-devil bit, it gives the song kind of a James Bond feel, don't you think?

And, really, it's good to know that Bud's mind works this way. With all the worries I have about his future, it looks like I can cross both "tax evasion" and "run-ins with the FBI" off the list.

12 comments:

pixiemama said...

:)

Niksmom said...

ROFLMAO! I can just picture this, too!

kristina said...

Unless it's a Jerry McGuire sort of agent, though I think Bud would be ready to show him who's got the money!

Ange said...

:) One of my favorite things to do is listen to Bubba sing. And now Mooser, who isn't into music but very into his brother has been starting to sing Bubba's current favorite--"pokerface". Lord help me.

~AspieMom~ said...

Too cute! The Boy corrects me when we're singing too. Though we're almost always listening to Muse.

K said...

LOL soooooo cute - it does have a very 007 feel to it

Robin said...

Sounds like a great afternoon- are you both on key?
we were trying to sing I've been working on the railroad in the car today. took us all a while but I think we finally got the lyrics all right but boy we will never sing professionally!

mommy~dearest said...

Hahahaaaa... awesome!

MOM-NOS said...

I think I should be paying closer attention to Bud's lyrical interpretations, because I have a hunch he's taking a lot more liberties than I thought.

Yesterday he was singing Dierks' "My Love Will Follow You," except that when he got to the line:

You can leave me far behind, but my love will be your shadow everywhere you go,

he sang:

You can leave me party high...,

which I've decided not to think about too much, or I'll have to add a couple of items on to the worry list.

Anonymous said...

I've really enjoyed reading the blog. Thanks for sharing so much. It is a gift! Johnna

David said...

I love Bud's mondegreens too, and I thank you for sharing them with the interwebs. And for the word mondegreen too!!! Thanks MOM!

Daisy said...

God Bless America, land that I love, stand beside her, and guide her, through the night with a light from a bulb.