Saturday, June 27, 2009

Career planning

Apparently, Bud's been giving some thought to his future.

Last night, as we were sitting together before bedtime, Bud got quiet and seemed lost in thought, then finally spoke.

"When I grow up," he mused, "I want to be just like Rolf Saxon."

I thought I'd misheard. "Who, Bud?"

"Rolf Saxon."

Rolf Saxon?

I quickly thumbed through my mental Rolodex of PBS characters and country music stars. Nothing.

"Who is Rolf Saxon?"

"He's the narrator on Teletubbies. He tells the things the Teletubbies do."

Ahhh. Of course. THAT Rolf Saxon.

"You know, Bud," I said, "I bet you WOULD be really good at that. That would be a great job for you."

And I really wasn't kidding. Bud zeroed in on a profession that capitalizes on his passion (Teletubbies), his talents (an ear for dialect, an uncanny memory, the ability to mimic virtually anything), and his natural inclinations (the soul of a performer, who sometimes needs to be out of the spotlight).

I've advised college students who don't know themselves that well.

11 comments:

Jordan said...

Brilliant! What a smart boy.

cathy said...

Aw! That Bud - I like the way he thinks.

kristina said...

Or maybe some other radio-announcer type job....

MOM-NOS said...

Absolutely, Kristina. In fact, I often hear him at the computer, queueing up songs on iTunes and then doing intros in his best dj voice - "You're tuned to 97.5, Today's Best Country, and up next - Sideways by DIERKS BENTLEY!" He's got a great sense of timing, too!

Niksmom said...

Thank goodness you didn't leave us hanging about Rolf! ;-)

Yes, I think Bud's got the makings of a narrator, for sure. Who knows? With his newly developing storytelling/writing he might be the next Earl Hamner!

drama mama said...

I know many actor friends who make a great living at doing audio books.

The sky's the limit.

And seriously? That boy knows himself.

FLMom said...

How inspiring! He will truly LOVE any career he picks!

kyra said...

actually, i love that narrator guy on teletubbies!

Maddy said...

Ahhh! All is now clear.

Currently we have one chef, one cop and one webkinz employee but of course all that might change by the end of the summer.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

What a great kid!

I just wanted to tell you I really enjoy your blog -- I've been reading it for a couple of years now and you've inspired me to start my own humble blog about life with my son with Asperger's and his bipolar twin sister. Thanks!

Jean
http://accidentalexpert.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

whoops got the link wrong (see I'm a total newbie...)

http://accidentalexpert.blogspot.com