Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A real developmental milestone

If you've been following this blog for any length of time, then you probably know that Bud's very favorite thing in the world since the time he learned to walk has been the Teletubbies. For years, the Teletubbies provided Bud's frame of reference for the world; they were his shelter from the storm - his retreat when life was overwhelming; they were his very best friends and his go-to "guys."

And if you've been following this blog for any length of time, then you probably also know that I've been increasingly unsettled by Bud's continuing obsession with the Tubbies. I've tried to be supportive, but just below the surface I've been worried about my nine-year-old boy's undying commitment to a two-year-old's television program. I've worried that he would never move on. I knew he would keep exploring new interests, but I worried that he would continue to view the Teletubbies as the sine qua non.

Until tonight.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new number one.

Tonight, Bud told me that he likes Dierks Bentley better than the Teletubbies.

This is HUGE.

20 comments:

Telemommie said...

Wow! All I can say is "Big Hug!"
But seriously that is very cool.

K said...

That IS huge
WTG Bug

Teal said...

Clearly, Bud has excellent judgement. "Big hug" from Dierks maybe? And if Bud doesn't want it, can I have it? LOL!

Quirky Mom said...

Way to go Bud!

Maddy said...

Mon u bloomin mental! And human too [Dierks I mean]
Bestest wishes

Robin said...

very cool!
Glad Bud is moving on and glad it is someone cool (HSM is all the rage here!)

Sally's World said...

very cool..i bet YOU miss teh teletubbies tho lol!

Niksmom said...

I always knew the guy had taste! ;-) That IS a huge milestone; we're singing and dancing over here.

Happy Spring!

Fleecy said...

That is a pretty big deal :)

mommy~dearest said...

Huge! And hopeful that mine will not graduate holding a Baby Einstein VHS tape. :)

Christa said...

As the 'tubbies say, "bye, bye!"

You'll hear from me when Elmo gets a similar demotion at our house.

mumkeepingsane said...

Thomas the Tank is slowly making his way out of our house and I couldn't be more pleased, although also just a teeny bit sad. Congrats on such a huge milestone. We love Dierks over here btw, thanks to you guys.

Ok, I can't not say that all those years of teletubbies would have driven me insane. My kids have (on purpose) never seen them.

DBcongress said...

Hi, I have been following (and thoroughly enjoying) your and Bud's Dierks adventures since the beginning! Two years ago I sent in your story/link to Country Weekly and they published it! I just posted a link to your blog on my website (www.dbcongress.blogspot.com)

Thanks for sharing! I just love reading these Dierks stories--it just validates for me (not that I ever questioned) his truly genuiune character.

kyra said...

WOW! all right bud my man!!! that's huge!

pixiemama said...

He's in good company now.

So tell me, did you hate the tubbies? Because they don't bother me nearly as much as a lot of other things. Then again, none of my kids have ever really had them as their No. 1 pick.

I love that Dierks supports Bud's love for him. So, so sweet.

drama mama said...

He's got good taste. All in good time, right?

Laura said...

That's really exciting! The families I work with often battle with their children having age appropriate pop culture interests...
So any tips on how the transition happened?!

Club 166 said...

Way to go, Bud!

I know how you feel. Every night as I tuck my nine year old (Buddy Boy) into bed with his stuffed dinorsaurs, mammoth, dog, and teddy bear I wonder if he'll ever be able to put them aside.

For now he's happy, and I guess that's most important.

Joe

Daisy said...

Wow!! I was relieved when my kiddo stopped listening to kid music in favor of regular radio - country. Now he's 17 and adores Taylor Swift -- oh, geez. At least he has good taste.

Cocotte said...

Hi - first time here - just wanted to say that they do move on and just gravitate towards new obsessions. Mine went from Madeline to That's So Raven to Cosby Show now (she's 17).