Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bud dishes on Mom

There's a mom-meme floating around the Interwebz that I couldn't resist stealing. It takes the form of a Q&A - kids answering questions about their moms. I figured that I write so much here about Bud, it was only fair to give him a chance to turn the tables.

Bud's responses are in quotes. My comments are in parentheses.

1. What is something mom always says to you?

“Morning, Buddy.”

2. What makes mom happy?

“Hugging makes you happy.”

3. What makes mom sad?

“Cause when you cut your thumb.”

4. How does your mom make you laugh?

“When I’m a clown.”

5. What was your mom like as a child?

“You’re a girl. You have lots of toys cause you play with them.”

6. How old is your mom?

(This response takes a little explanation. Relative age is a concept that escapes Bud, so he had no idea how to answer. His first response was "Four years old." When I confirmed by asking "Four years old?," he quickly recanted: "No! One years old." Again, I asked "One years old?" and he replied, "No! Three years old." Then he fell into a mitigated echolalic script from Yo Gabba Gabba, which he insisted I type out in it's entirety. When it was finished, he asked "How old are you?" and I said, "Forty-two." So he made me change "Three-years old" to "Forty-two years old" at the beginning of his script. The final result is printed here.)

“Forty-two years old. I remember that you had a cupcake and it had one candle in it, cause you were one years old. I remember you had a bowl of spaghetti with two candles and you remember that your dad was there and that he let you blow the candles cause you were two years old. I remember when Nana was there cause she gave you a toy truck and remember when Papa was there cause he gave you a rubber snake. When you had a bowl of ice cream it had only three candles in it cause you were three years old.”

7. How tall is your mom?

“Bigger.”

8. What is her favorite thing to do?

“Have a meeting.”

9. What does your mom do when you're not around?

“Be alone.”

10. If your mom becomes famous, what will it be for?

“I don’t know yet.”

11. What is your mom really good at?

“Writing the names of your friends on the pizza box.”

(This is not actually something I spend a lot of time doing, but had done it that afternoon after we delivered a truckload of Little Caesar’s make-your-own-pizza kits to my office as part of a school fundraiser. Apparently, I did it very well.)

12. What is your mom not very good at?

“Swimming.”

(In my own defense, I don’t think I’m that bad.)

13. What does your mom do for her job?

“Work at her desk.”

14. What is your mom's favorite food?

“English muffins.”

15. What makes you proud of your mom?

“When the audience cheers for you.”

(Happens all the time…)

16. If your mom were a character in a book, who would she be?

“Like, a firefighter.”

17. What do you and your mom do together?

“We be teamwork.”

18. How are you and your mom the same?

“We have two arms and one mouth.”

19. How are you and your mom different?

“Our shirts.”

20. How do you know your mom loves you?

“Cause she always hugs.”

21. Where is your mom's favorite place to go?

“To a hotel.”

(Actually, that is BUD's favorite place to go, but I'm willing to go along with it. After all, we be teamwork.)

17 comments:

Jenn said...

:D Great answers, Bud! I'm going to have go give this one a try!

Stimey said...

He's the sweetest. The absolute sweetest. Reading his answers reminds me of my Jack.

Robin said...

great answers Bud
writing names on pizza boxes is a great skill to have :)
It is of utmost importance that the right pizza gets to the right person!
I loved doing this with the girls as well. A told me I was "medium for a grown-up"

pixiemama said...

Adorable. I love that you're such a wise and wonderful 1-year-old...no matter how old you really are.

mommy~dearest said...

Love it! And I'm sure "meetings" are your absolute fave! ;) He did a really good job.

Fleecy said...

I thought it was really cute that you have "two arms and one mouth" in common and shirts are different. And that he said you'd be a firefighter in a book. Very cute post. :)

Kajoli said...

awwww .. that is one lovely child

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Cheering for you AND Bud ... always.

kyra said...

that is so DARN adorable! i love hearing his words!

i want to try this with my boy!

Amy said...

I just recently found your blog. I enjoy reading about you and Bud. My 6 y/o daughter has PDD-NOS.

I tried this survey with her tonight and got some good answers. Thanks for sharing :)

VAB said...

I love 18 and 19!

Anonymous said...

I cheer for you and Bud, all the time.

Nicki said...

I love Bud's answers! He definitely knows he is loved!

FXSmom said...

There are some very rational answers to these. Love it..especially the "we be teamwork" Wow :)

Moi ;) said...

OMG what a howl....#11....

I don't know, the hotel thing sounds pretty good to Moi. Especially if room service is involved. :D

Chun Wong said...

Brilliant!Loved the "two arms and one mouth" answer, well it's true isn't it?!

DC said...

This is hilarious! The concrete literalism has to be one of my favorite things about reading my students' writing.