Sunday, November 02, 2008

Bud the plumber

It seems that Bud is supporting John McCain.

The other day I asked him who he thought the next President should be and he answered "Hillary Clinton." I explained that Hillary is no longer running and that the next President would be either Barack Obama or John McCain. Bud said he wanted John McCain.

"Really?" I asked him. "I'm voting for Barack Obama. He is a very good man."

"John McCain is not a nice man?" Bud asked.

"Oh, no, Bud," I said. "John McCain is a nice man. They're both nice men. But I think Barack Obama is a nice man and would be a good President. John McCain is a nice man, but I don't think he would be as good a President. They have different ideas about being President, and I like Barack Obama's ideas better."

"I like John McCain," Bud answered.

Bud is standing by his candidate, even though he has gotten confirmation that his father and grandparents are also supporting Barack Obama and even though he lives in a house that sports an Obama/Biden yard sign (we did get a new one, though I'm beginning to have suspicions about who took the old one...)

Luckily, Bud is only nine, so I've got some time before his votes start counting. But make sure to check in here before the Presidential election of 2020. By then, I imagine that one of two things will be happening: either he will have started embracing his Democratic roots, or he and I will each be travelling to the polls to cancel the other out.

11 comments:

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

There's still two days left ... Bud could still change his mind. :) Boo switched very recently (after announcing that he "didn't know much about Sarah Palin, so he was voting for Barack Obama.") However, his party loyalties are not as strong because in his homework assignment for this weekend (which I've blogged about) he says he wants to be just like Ronald Reagan.

I love when little kids get into politics.

cathy said...

Oh, Bud! Has he seen Sarah Palin? Maybe that would change his mind! ;-)

Stimey said...

Keep working on him. My husband is a (gasp) Republican, so not only do our votes cancel each other out, but we are engaged in an eternal battle for our children's political souls.

StatMama said...

Even if I thought McCain would be a good president (and I don't) I am terrified of Sarah Palin.

Niksmom said...

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that you will continue to indoctrinate, er um, lead by example as Bud approaches legal voting age! ;-)

kristina said...

Give the plumber time and you never know......

drama mama said...

If Obama put on a Teletubby suit, would it change his mind?

SUS said...

I remember the mock election we had in 2nd grade. Most kids voted for Ford because they were familiar with the name (myself included). One kid voted for "Kotter."

Bud's Dad said...

Has anyone ever seen Sarah Palin and La La in the same room?

mommy~dearest said...

Too funny- Jaysen had mock elections at school and told me he voted for McCain. Traitor. ;)

Jess said...

Huh. Sounds like what my parents and I did.

Tell Bud that if he's emotionless enough (like me) or just hardheaded (like me) to endure cross-examination, shunning, raised eyebrows, and lectures just for voting Republican, then he and I will go to the polls together.

I cancelled out one parent, but I can't say anything for the 8,543 other humans...