Thursday, October 02, 2008

Talk about soft on crime

If you read the political posts on my blog, then you already know that I'm a capital-L Liberal - a Ted Kennedy Democrat who falls somewhere to the left of the left. It probably won't surprise you that shortly after Barack Obama became the presumptive nominee of the Democratic party, I put an Obama yard sign out in front of my house.

About a week ago, the Obama sign disappeared from my yard. My mother and I commiserated over it, dismayed that this could happen in our rural little neighborhood. "Who would do such a thing?" I wondered out loud.

My mother was quiet for a minute, then said thoughtfully, "I just hope it was taken by Obama supporters who didn't want to spend money on their own sign."

Yes, I'm sure that's it. It was a needy Democrat. Or maybe it was someone who couldn't afford heating oil and needed to burn it in his wood stove.

At least now I know where I get it.

10 comments:

Quirky Mom said...

Ohhh, so sorry about your sign. The day that Edwards dropped out of the race -- but before he actually did it -- someone took my brand-new Edwards sign from my yard. I think it was there for less than 24 hours.

Yet somehow my "No on Prop 8" sign (hoping to defeat a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage) has been left alone.

I hope you can find another Obama sign! I hear they are in short supply.

kristina said...

Yes yes yes, surely someone just wanted to spread the word some more!

MOM-NOS said...

Of course, Kristina! It was somebody who lives on a road with more traffic, just trying to give the sign more visibility! They were actually doing community service! Why didn't I think of that?

Quirky Mom, I'm not sure if we'll be able to replace the sign. I'm afraid that by the time it gets here, the election will be over...

miss brave said...

You might enjoy this article about some folks in Oregon who were in a similar situation: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122264086842483853.html?mod=rss_Politics_And_Policy

miss brave said...

I don't think my last link worked -- trying again!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122264086842483853.html?mod=rss_Politics_And_Policy

MOM-NOS said...

Miss Brave, that's AWESOME!

If anyone is having trouble following the link, click here.

abfh said...

You can order another sign from the Obama website. It should get mailed to you pretty quickly.

http://store.barackobama.com/product_p/ys29682.htm

I ordered mine on Monday.

Quirky Mom said...

That Oregon story is awesome. Poor O'Merkley!

FYI, my friends who have ordered signs from the Obama site have been waiting for weeks. Friends who ordered this week have received notification that signs are back-ordered.

If you want one quick, maybe try Cafe Press?

gretchen said...

Do you remember Henry's new little friend on the bus who is a fan of Camp Rock? Well this morning I told her that I liked her mom's Obama bumper sticker. The next thing I knew "outgoing little girl" had sold me an Obama t-shirt and told my sons that I was getting shirts for them too. She'll be quitting elementary school to work for the campaign fulltime, I'm sure.

(But I don't think I'll send Tommy to preschool in a political shirt.)

Lynanne said...

I had to chuckle at this!! At least they didn't replace it with the OTHER sign as has been known to happen in our neighborhood. Ugh.