Wednesday, July 02, 2008

For want of an apostrophe

Oh, those pesky, pesky pronouns.

I'm often reminded when talking to Bud just how difficult the English language is. This morning I was reminded that, when spoken, the word "your" sounds exactly like the word "you're," and confusion of the two can make the response to a question sound like a personal affront.

Bud woke for the day today at 3:30 a.m. - a phenomenon I haven't seen since late last fall. By the time we stumbled down to breakfast, I was bleary-eyed and foggy-brained, but Bud was full of energy and enthusiasm - and he was hungry. I staggered across the kitchen, took out some bread, popped it into the toaster and stood waiting for it to be done.

"What are you making, Mama?" Bud asked.

"Your toast," I answered.

"I'm not toast!" he shrieked with a giggle as he ran into the other room.

He's got me there. He's not toast.

But he's the best thing since sliced bread.

12 comments:

Club 166 said...

...But he's the best thing since sliced bread.

How true.

I suspect he knew exactly what you meant. Buddy Boy (also 8 years old) loves to play with language like this.

Joe

kristina said...

and since Wonder Bread, too!

(though I prefer something a little more whole grain-y)

Daisy said...

So cute. How did people describe the "best thing since" before there was sliced bread? Never mind. Take a nap.

Teal said...

When my kids say, "Mom, will you make me a sandwich?" my response is often, "Bang! You're a sandwich!"

Niksmom said...

How cute! I love that Bud is playing with language, too. Cool!

Jeni said...

Loved the way you worked into this little story -and a great one it was too, seeing how he was comprehending and communicating that too.

Drama Mama said...

Um, aren't you the one who likes to play with words? I recall a post...

Apple. Tree.

Uh huh.

Both of you divine.

Maddy said...

So true, so true. How anyone ever learns to spell is a mystery.
Cheers

for what it's worth said...

Mom,

I wanted to let you and your distinguished community of educated parents and advocates know about a situation in my fair city. I intend on publicly boycotting the chain of restaurants...a few letters or emails from folks with far more knowledge than my own might be helpful in educating all restaurants.

A shameless plug to my blog, only because I have put up all the mailing and contact information. Gah, ignorance makes me sick!

LAA and Family said...

That's great! Our ultra-literal kids can be so much fun!

Anonymous said...

My four year old did something similiar. When I told him last year that we were going to Miami he looked at me and said "why are we going your ami?" I tried to explain it to him, but it just didn't work. I just took the smile.

Steph said...

*Smile* What a great moment.