Thursday, May 01, 2008

Another good opportunity

You may recall that not long ago I told you about Teresa Ulman's dissertation research study at Vanderbilt University, which looks at "the positive growth in mothers and fathers of a child with a developmental disability" in hopes that it will be "a step forward in breaking the myth that a family touched by autism and other developmental disabilities is all doom and gloom."

Teresa recently contacted me to let me know that she has expanded the scope of her study to include parents of children and adults (ages 8 - 25) with a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. I'll be following this link to share my thoughts with Teresa soon. I hope that many of you will join me there!

6 comments:

Niksmom said...

Now THAT'S a nice Blogging Against Disablism Day post! :-)

Bad Mommy said...

My PDD-NOS baby is 6. He's the milk in my cheerios, that one. But he's not 8-25, so I don't suppose that I qualify. He enriches our lives in ways I can't even describe, and I feel so very deeply blessed to have him. We have bad days, and I worry a good bit about not being able to protect him as he gets older, but he is so, so wonderful.

Can't imagine life without him, or life with him if he were "normal."

kristenspina said...

I'm right there with Bad Mommy. I wish we were old enough to take part because yes, we worry, we struggle, we flail about at times, but life is good.

dancingmom said...

Me too! My Pete is 7 so just a bit too young here. Our life is really good, too. Love him to pieces just the way he is.

karen

Anonymous said...

I tried to take the survey, but finally gave up. It seemed to assume I was in crisis. In fact, it actually used that word. I am not, and neither is my son. He's autistic, not critically ill. Pages went by that just didn't apply.

MOM-NOS said...

Anon, I just finished taking the survey. The reference to "crisis" was only on a single page. My sense of the study is that it pieced together a lot of standardized tests, one of which was some sort of crisis response assessment. My hunch is that the results would have been invalid if the researcher changed the wording in any way.

I found that the overall tone of the survey was respectful and positive.