Thursday, March 20, 2008

First day of spring, my Aunt Fanny

Blogging friends, please forgive me if you write lovely little posts heralding the arrival of spring, sprinkled with colorful photos of the crocuses popping up in your gardens, and you find that I don't leave comments or - worse - I leave comments that are ever so slightly on the cranky side.

It's not personal. Truly. It's just that in my world, the calendar says "spring," but the environs say "deep black hole of unending winter."

These pictures were taken several weeks ago, but my yard looks just the same now as it did then.

When I open my front door, I see this:

I should point out that this path to my front door is not hedge-lined. There is no stone wall under there creating an illusion of depth. Under all the snow you can see? There is just. more. snow.

Here's a photo of my front yard, with Bud modeling that the snow is so firmly packed and ice-laden, he is able to walk across the top without falling in:



When the yard is snow-free, the ground in front of the car is level with the ground behind it.

It should be interesting to see how this all plays out. My front yard doesn't see a lot of sunlight, so in a typical year - when the snow totals in my front yard at the beginning of March are just a couple of feet - the snow does not melt quickly, and even when the surrounding area is experiencing the joys of spring, my yard is a mound of unseasonable white stuff. Last year, we set up Bud's paddling pool before the last of the snow melted.

And this year? Stay tuned right here for what are certain to be some interesting summer pics.

13 comments:

kristina said...

Cold spring indeed----time for a little thaw to cast some light on the situation, or at least to start the melting process.

kristenspina said...

Oh my! Are there any polar bears in those woods?

Niksmom said...

Um, yeah, I cold understand how that could make one just a touch cranky! Hope you get an unseasonably warm spring and thaw out.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Where do ya live? We have had a crazy mild winter - no fun at all, just kind of dull and miserable. it's definitely spring here, however. There is normally one more cold blast to punish those who decided to plant before th official frost-free date - but we're essentially done.

I'm sorry that you are stuck in winter. I hope that your spring will come soon and spectacularly.

Micky said...

I know exactly what you mean! I live in Prairies Canada, a few hours from the mountains, and our front yard is north-facing and shadowed by the house... the rest of our street will be basking in renewed greenery, kids out on the front lawns, and our house sits right in the middle of it with snowdrifts piled high over the grass and juniper.

Jordan said...

Ugh. That's a lot of snow. Here in Chicago we had a 2-day spring tease last week. Tonight it's supposed to start snowing and continue through Sunday. I find that incredibly NOT funny.

FXSmom said...

holy cow woman. That would make me very grouchy too!!

Daisy said...

I know the feeling! The melting process has begun here, but there is a (gasp) SNOW WARNING on the news and weather for tomorrow night.
Good luck. Honestly, I understand.

Delilah said...

Oh my. I think I would be a bit more than slightly cranky. Sending some warm thoughts your way!

KAL said...

Yuck. So sorry. Wishing you a quick thaw!

Kitt said...

Reminds me of South Dakota! I don't miss it. Hope your thaw comes soon.

Eileen said...

Maybe you and Bud can pack up the car and keep driving south until you reach some place where there is no snow. The two of you can spend the weekend and get a break.

Anyway, sorry. Hope Spring shows it's colors for yous oon.

readingwritingliving said...

That is.... unbelievable. I guess you don't WANT to see what we look at when we open OUR front door. Brrrr.