Friday, March 21, 2008

Everybody in the pool!

So I was thinking.

I told you yesterday about my snow-covered world and about the fact that my yard is likely to have snow in it long after people around here are wearing shorts and sandals. And yes, it makes me cranky, but really - my being cranky is not going to make the snow melt any faster.

So, I was thinking: We might as well have some fun with it.

I hereby announce The Official MOM-NOS Ice-Out Pool. Take a good look at the pictures I included in my previous post, and use whatever scientific or intuitive talents you have to determine which you believe will be the precise day that the last of the snow will disappear from my yard. And I'm talking very last vestiges here - not a single sliver of ice, not a tiny lump of frost. Nothing but water. Place your best guess in the comment section below, and I will keep you posted as the melting progresses (Because it will melt, right? It has to melt, right?)

Only one guess is allowed per participant, and once a date is taken it will no longer be available as a valid guess. The person who chooses the correct Ice Out Day - or, in fine Price is Right tradition, comes the closest without going over - will win a super-special Mom-NOS surprise pack, which will include, at a minimum:

A copy of the Dierks Bentley DVD, Live & Loud at the Fillmore

A box of Kashi TLC Original Seven-Grain Crackers

A $5 gift card to Starbucks

A copy of whichever must-read book is striking my fancy at the time

And, most likely, other fabulous prizes that have yet to be determined. (But, honestly - Dierks, TLC, coffee, a good book - what more could you possibly need?)

Step right up, folks. Choose wisely, place your bets, and start calling forth the sun!

42 comments:

kristenspina said...

May 22. For no reason other than I like the way it sounds.

Jordan said...

this seems just plain cruel, but I'm going with June 3. This is without knowing where you live, but that's a lot of snow - and shade!

Ange said...

june 20, 1st day of summer

Kitt said...

If you don't play, you can't win! I choose May 20. though I hope for your sake it's sooner than that.

kyra said...

first of all, you could SO LUGE down that front path!

second of all, i present you with the date: May 1

ever the optimist!

Anonymous said...

I am hopeful that May 11th will be the day. It's Mother's Day and my husbands birthday, so it seems like a good luck sign for spring!
Suzanne

Jenn said...

June 6 - my bday

Kaethe said...

I'll go with my birthday, May 15. Hope I lose.

Thank you for making wherever you are less appealing than where I am.

Phoebe Gleeson said...

May 31.

Anonymous said...

I'll be the optimist for you and say April 30th.

-Kristen U

Eileen said...

Will you hate me for guessing a much later date in June? How about June 28th? I mean we are talking the very last vestiges here.

Bannie said...

June 26.

Mike said...

I'll be nice and say April 10th. Good luck.

Beth up North said...

Hello from up North as well. I will use my psychic powers to say May 24. (I just really like the number 24) Hang in there for the big melt down, at least there will be more sun while the evil snow sticks around in the shade.

mommy~dearest said...

Good gracious, woman! Do you live in the bowels of the Antarctic?!? Are you sure that's Bud in the picture, or is it really a penguin?

My guess is June 19th.

KAL said...

I'll say May 10. Hope I'm wrong!

Anonymous said...

June 14th just sounds right LOL XOXO-Noelle & Liv

magicdrgn said...

I'll say June 21.

Stimey said...

April 22.

I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska, for a year and there is a whole betting industry around the Nenana River and when the ice thaws. They erect a giant pole in the ice and when it moves enough to trigger the clock, whoever guessed that day, hour, and minute wins. I guessed the correct hour and minute and was off by one day exactly. I'm still bummed I didn't win.

Stacy from One March Day said...

My guess is June 9.

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of snow. My guess is June 15th

Julie B.

Delilah said...

My guess is May 26, Memorial Day. It's also my daughter's birthday.

Cindy Ericsson said...

My son's birthday, May 27th. I hope I'm late by at least a month, but I doubt it from the way those photos look.

Rachel said...

June 7.

momof3 said...

I hope for earlier, but I'm going to say May 30.

Daisy said...

Ever the optimist, I'm guessing April 15th. Tax day and Ice Melt; why not.
We didn't get the worst of yesterday's storm, but I drove through it to bring La Petite home from college. What an adventure!

Drama Mama said...

May 30.

I am a Left Coast innocent.

No idea.

Harvest Mom said...

I'll take May 29 (that's DH's birthday). Although I fear for your sake that I'm being overly optomistic for you....

MOM-NOS said...

Drama Mama, sadly, May 30 is already taken - competition is fierce for late May. May 28 is still available, or if you'd rather go later, June 1.

VTBudFan said...

Another optimist logs in: April 18th. My spring break starts that day, so why shouldn't yours?

:)

telemommie said...

I'm going with April 21 and hoping for a heat wave. I guess I shouldn't mention that it is 75 and sunny here in Austin . . . .

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

I was going to say May 1st since that's Keeghan's birthday, but it's taken so I choose May 16th... Kennedy's birthday.

MOM-NOS said...

June 4 and June 13 are now taken as well. (And if you'd like to secure a date but are not the commenting type, feel free to drop me an e-mail at momnos at gmail dot com.)

Holding It Together said...

I'll take May 21st, although for your sake I hope it is sooner!

rebecca said...

Delurking to say that I'll go for April 29th, if it's still available...

ghkcole said...

may 19

Robin said...

I was going to pick my birthday, but it is taken. So I'll pick my sister's birthday, April 24. Cross your fingers....

Teal said...

May 5th. Yep.

kandqsmom said...

If May 25 is not taken, I'll take it. Although I do hope the ice/snow is gone before then.

Michaela said...

Dibs on May 13.
I don't know why. But that's what I pick.

BPDad said...

May 12

Rebecca said...

June 5th, please.