Friday, February 01, 2008

Putting it together

I still don't know what happened between Bud and Kelly, but I think I've figured out why it was bothering Bud so much.

Yesterday afternoon, I asked Bud's teacher and aide if they knew anything about The Buster Affair. They said they weren't aware of any incident, but they weren't able to follow up with Kelly about it because she has been out all week with the flu.

Kelly has been missing. Suddenly, and without warning - though, clearly, after an incident in which she told Bud she didn't want to play with him anymore - she just stopped coming to school.

I can't imagine the weight that Bud has been carrying with him this week.

When I got home in the evening, I was determined to set Bud straight - to explain where Kelly was, to let him know why she wasn't with him, to assure him that he had nothing to do with her absence. It seems, though, that he'd already worked it out on his own.

"Bud," I said, "Tell me about Kelly."

"She's sick," he said.

"That's why she's not at school," I said.

"Yes," he said.

"She'll be back at school soon," I said. "When she feels better."

"Yes," he said.

And that was that. Nothing more about her anger. Nothing more about being called "Buster." He didn't need my help. He'd sorted it out.

He'd found the missing piece.

15 comments:

Drama Mama said...

I'm just tuning in to this affair.

No sooner had I done so than Bud has solved the dilemma.

He truly. Amazes.

kirsten said...

wow. way to go, bud. how amazing to 'watch' him grow by leaps and bounds! thanks for sharing, and i hope kelly is back SOON!

Kitt said...

Great! And what do you want to bet she snapped at Bud because she wasn't feeling well?

I hope everyone feels better soon.

Maddy said...

Indeed as Kitt said! Sometimes we [all] need a little percolation time.
BEst wishes

kristen said...

So glad to hear all is better. Hope Kelly is feeling better soon...

Niksmom said...

Well, I could understand how it got Bud quite upset if he thought she was mad at him and then went away. Relieved to know Kelly's ill and will return. Sounds like Bud figured out how to figure it out. :-)

BTW, how goes the separation anxiety you wrote about a while ago? I hope it's settled down. Nik has started to exhibit that when I take him to the child care at the Y...and I'm only gone for an hour!

Ange said...

I'm so glad Bud put it all together and was OK with it.

Angela said...

Wow, that's wonderful as you say "he found the missing piece". Yay Bud! If only all of life's trials and tribulations could be forgotten and forgiven so easily and quickly.

mommy~dearest said...

:)

Beau McClelland said...

He figured it out all on his own.

Good job.

Jordan said...

We need a big "Save Kelly" sign like in Ferris Buehler's Day Off. She'd better be back by Monday! ;-)

David said...

I was kinda wondering whether he was deconstructing the word "Buster" and what this might have meant to him in the context of the negative exchange with his friend. But as the others commented, Kelly's being under the weather may well be connected to the outcome. There's also the possibility that it's the deeper lesson of how to deal with the anger of a friend. That's a tough one, even for us grownups. I hope they work it out.

Club 166 said...

While we fuss and worry over the weekend, Monday may indeed find that they both act like the incident never happened.

Joe

kristina said...

Charlie's always responded---slowly and sometimes after some time---when aides have changed, when students have come and gone. And the effect of this on him is too often overlooked.

Get well Kelly!

Anonymous said...

Here's to finding all the missing pieces. mh