Monday, January 14, 2008

Vanity, thy name is Keith

I've had a harsh moment of self-realization.

I'm growing layers out of my hair. Have you ever done that? Gone from having short layered hair to longer non-layered hair? It doesn't sound like a big deal, but 1) it takes an extraordinarily long time, and 2) you spend many months of your life in "that awkward stage."

Bolstered by inspiration from Drama Mama, I've been spending a lot of time every morning trying to look just a tiny bit fabulous, and it was this morning as I looked in the mirror that the realization hit me.

Right now on a GOOD day, I look like Keith Urban:

And on a BAD day, I look like Keith Partridge:

Neither of these realities is particularly self-affirming.


kristen said...

Sigh...I know just what you mean. I have spend months waiting for the icky horrible bangs to grow, and finally, finally, they have reached the goal line. It is painful. But we've all been there. And, hey, if you're just talking hair, neither Keith is really that bad. It could be worse. Couldn't it?

Christine said...

Oh, how I hear you! I have spent the past 10 years or so with really, really short hair. Now I'm trying to grow it out and basically just avoid mirrors every day. And I wear a lot of scarves in my hair. If I'd actually get up the nerve to look in a mirror I'd probably think I looked pretty eccentric. Ooh well! All for the sake of vanity :-)

kristina said...

Opposite problem --- I had to grow out the back of my hair; the rest was more or less the same length. But things got messy.... so for awhile I just let it get really long. And straggly and waving all over the place. Then, the day before Thanksgiving, I felt the call of the clippers and evened things up.

If I may say so, guess your hair (as mine was) in transition and maybe it needs some visual supports-----just kidding, it's always what's inside that counts! (Say the moms.)

goodfountain said...

I am with you on this! I too am growing out my layers and this awkward stage has gone on far too long. Sigh. Not to mention my most recent haircut is a wee bit lopsided (scowl). Ah well I suppose it will all be worth it in the end.

Maddy said...

You're doing better than me dearie. If I look in a mirror [perish the thought] I can't see myself as my eyebrows have been unplucked for a month and form a curtain over my eyes!

Marla said...

This is too funny. I had very short hair for years and then grew it out. I love having long hair now. I just tried not to think about it for a year and I never went to get my hair cut when I was depressed or else I would always have it all cut off and begin all over again. Good luck!!! It will grow!

Club 166 said...

Wow. It's so much easier to be a guy.

Find a hair style you like.

Keep it until you die.


bad mommy said...

I think I love you!

Yeah, I'm that old.

And I gave up on any hairstyle that can't be acheived by my 6 year old playing "beauty parlor" about a year ago. Right now I look great in about 5 butterfly barretts and a bow. Otherwise, kind of sad.

Teal said...

Headbands maybe?

graceunderautism said...

oh for the love of layers....why must they grow out so awkwardly? I have about one more trim to go before I will be mostly happt with mine. but I don't want to cut my hair again until the short ones get as long as the majority is now....tapping foot...still waiting.

Casdok said...

I persevered, only to find i didnt like it and have just had layers cut again!

Drama Mama said...

Dangly earrings? Scarves? Hats? When my hair gets short, my eye makeup gets verrrry dramatic. Smoke and mirrors, Baby.

It'll grow.

P.S. And for the record, you do NOT look like either Keith. Please.

beccatown said...

I've often thought there should be a hotline for women who are growing out their hair. They'd call the number and say, "I'm having a bad hair day, and I'm pulling into the parking lot of a Great Clips..." and the phone counselor (herself a recent grower-outer) would talk her out of it.

That said, I've had short hair since high school and love it. It is never "too short." Growing it out, to me, means no cut in six weeks.

Susan said...

Okay, Mom, I have two pieces of advice for you. 1. Get ye to the salon and buy a nice smoothing lotion to put on your hair before you blow dry it in the morning (I almost typed "blog dry," which is what happens when you blog on a supercomputer) and 2. Embrace your inner Keith. Partridge, Urban, whatever. Let your layers grow!