Saturday, December 01, 2007

Perhaps I'll just move my lips

Bud is not always a fan of my singing. It's true that when he needs a partner for a duet, I'm usually his first choice (you should hear us do Keith Urban's "I Told You So," with me on lead vocals and Bud singing the part of every instrument in the band), but he often objects when I sing along with the radio or hum out loud as I putter around the house.

"Mama," he'll say to me. "Just listen."

Or - my favorite - "Don't sing, Mama. Just burp."

This morning I walked into the kitchen, quietly singing "oh feeder monkey size" to myself, and Bud burst in from the other room.

"No. Just quiet please, Mama," he said.

"You know, Bud," I said, in my ongoing effort to lobby for just a tad more air time, "When I was in the eighth grade, I was actually chosen for the glee club."

"What?" he asked.

"When I was younger, I was such a good singer that they picked me to be in a very special singing group at school."

"And now," he replied matter-of-factly, "You can't sing at all."

Oh.

Rats.

12 comments:

Niksmom said...

Well, if it's any consolation, I'm a trained singer and Nik still onlylets me sing nursery songs!

kristen said...

I can't actually carry a tune, and it kills me to know this. So I understand. No one wants me to sing. Ever.

Daisy said...

Ouch.

Ange said...

haha! Bubba, our big singer, just yells "No singing mom!!!!!!" BTW, he's our big country fan but absolutely loves Daughtry now. If Bud ever wants to dabble in american idol, I suggest it. Nice hardish sound with a calming, regulating beat. :)

MOM-NOS said...

Daisy: yes. I like to think that when Bud said "and now you can't sing at all," he meant "and now you are not allowed to sing at all," instead of "and now you are not able to sing at all." I like to think that.

Thanks for the Daughtry tip, Ange. I loved him on Idol, though I'm not sure that Bud would be drawn to his music. Bud has a definite taste in music - he likes what he likes. It's fun to watch it emerge. For a long time, he'd just pick out his favorites from whatever anyone else in the house was listening to. Now, though, he pays attention to what's on the radio and he often asks me to download something on his iPod that makes me say "Really? You like that one?"

kristina said...

Maybe he meant not that you can't sing, but that you can't sing as in you're not allowed too.

Maddy said...

Oh dear yes. Round here it's no singing, no whistling, no humming.
Cheers

Drama Mama said...

I know how you feel. I took the girls to the Nutcracker yesterday, and I was telling them that I used to dance in the Nutcracker - as a flower, or snowflake, one year I was the Dancing Doll - then Roxie held up her little finger and said, "But now that you are big, you can only sit and watch. RIGHT?"

I know they don't mean to hurt fragile egos, but COME ON!

You can sing for me anytime, sister.

mommy~dearest said...

Hahahaaa! Just burp. I love it!
Jaysen doesn't like me to sing either. I'm pretty sure it's his sensory issues, since I have a fantabulous voice... ;)

Marla Fauchier Baltes said...

That is classic. Kids are so honest, I love it.

kyra said...

i love that bud! he is SUCH a riot!

come on over to our house. we have very creative ways of interpreting melody. ahem.

xx

Lolasmom said...

Ha! I love to sing, too, and fancy myself to be quite good. When I was single, I had grand visions of singing to -and singing with - my children, like a modern-day VonTrapp family. When I had my first, I dutifully sang to him every night as I rocked him to sleep. Good songs, like I remember my parents listening to and singing around the house: the Beatles' Blackbird, Arlo Guthrie's Hobo song, Cat Stevens, etc.
At some point before his first birthday, my son started trying to cover my mouth with his little hands while I was singing (I am not making this up). We used to joke that his first words would be, "Shut the %$#* up!"
He still hates it when I sing, although he is much more polite about it now. ("Mommy, please just listen. I can't hear.") My Lola, however, LOVES my singing. That's my girl... :)