Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Wake-up call

I've mentioned several times before that Bud's creative problem-solving skills are superb. Here is yet another piece of evidence.

As you may recall, Bud has not been sleeping well lately. Since sometime in late August, he's been waking for the day between 2:00 and 4:00 a.m. Over the past week, though, thanks to a shift in his medication, he has been sleeping most mornings until sometime between 4:00 and 5:00 a.m. What's even better is that when he wakes, he is much more calm and self-sufficient.

He typically comes into my room a couple of times after he's awoken to: 1) assure me that there are no storms, and 2) confirm that even though it's still dark, it is actually morning, by asking "Can I read books?" (In general, I respond to this question before 4:00 a.m. with "No, it's still nighttime. Try to go back to sleep." and after 4:00 a.m. with "Yes, you can read books quietly.") Once he gets the thumbs-up on book-reading, he dons his iPod and settles in with a stack of books, and I half-doze as I hear him talk and sing - and sometimes dance - in his room.

He clearly keeps his ears open, though, for the sound of my alarm clock, which signals to him that I am ready to get out of bed and join him. Lately, I've been using an iHome clock radio, which allows me to wake to a song on my iPod, and I usually only hear a few notes before Bud dashes into my room to greet me.

One day this week, Bud woke a bit before 4:00 a.m., but was clearly up for the day. He spent almost an hour in his room, then moved out into the hallway and lingered by my open door, waiting for the sound of my iPod, which wasn't scheduled to go off until 5:30. Around 5:00, I heard him rustling around at my bedside, but I kept my eyes closed and pretended to sleep. He climbed up next to me, and very gently slid his iPod headphones over my ears. Seconds later, I heard the opening strains of Brad Paisley's "All I Wanted Was a Car."

"I hear music!" I said. "Does that mean it's time for me to wake up?"

"Yeah!" Bud said with a giggle.

I've gotta say, if you have to wake up at 5:00 a.m., that is definitely the way to do it.

14 comments:

Teal said...

Creative little monkey, isn't he? I love it! And yet, not so unlike a couple of parents I know who also artificially manipulated things...like when bedtime was an hour from now, but Mom and Dad were so tired that they pushed the hands on the kitchen clock just a bit...I'm impressed with Bud's resourcefulness.

Jenn said...

OMG, that is so funny! Although I'm usually a morning grouch if woken before 6am, how can you possibly get upset with that ingenuity? Hysterical.

kristen said...

Very clever little guy.

Maddy said...

I'm completely with you on the lack of sleep front. Is consideration is enviable.
Best wishes

Daisy said...

He gets points for creativity, that's for sure!

kirsten said...

ha! smart kiddo.

for what it's worth said...

My favourite memory of mornings with the wee'uns is waking up to hear them 'la,la,laing' in their cribs. I figured if they could wake up singing, it was going to be a good day. Now as teenagers, there is no more morning singing, but occasionally, I can hear them singing strains of a familiar tune as they fall asleep at night.

Bud is a very clever lad. What a wonderful way to wake up!

kristina said...

With giggles, always better!

But hope you got that extra 1/2 hour.

mommy~dearest said...

That is WAY better than the hair-pulling and peeling back of eyelids that Jaysen is partial to!

Liesel Elliott said...

Beautiful!

Julie said...

What a creative kid! What better way to wake up but to your favorite artist!

misha_k said...

My first time posting here. Bud sounds so much like my son with waking me up in the morning if he feels it's time. J, though, will lie next to me on my bed and run his fingers over my face - eyebrows, eyelashes, mouth, he'll plug my nose. Gotta love our boys for the creative things they do.

Niksmom said...

I would imagine this is waaaay better than some of the other ways you've been woken by Bud, yes? :-) He IS a clever puss!

BTW, thanks for your sweet comment on the Dr. House post. I know you (and several other moms) are there if I need to vent or a shouldre to cry on...and that means the world to me. xo

Casdok said...

Thats so cute!!