Thursday, November 29, 2007

One for the books

Thank you, blogosphere friends, for the fabulous array of suggestions you sent to try to help me out of my current book rut. As always, I was overwhelmed by your willingness to share your thoughts and insights. I made three separate trips to three different bookstores to browse their stacks armed with the list I generated from your comments and e-mails. You folks know your stuff! I've got enough material to work with to keep me reading happily for the foreseeable future.

As you know, though, this time around I wasn't just looking for a great book; I was looking for the right book. So I scoured the shelves, reading back covers and inside flaps and first pages. I carried some books around to see how they felt in my hands, to see how well I settled into them. I browsed further. I walked around some more. I took some breaks. Twice I went home empty-handed.

And then I found it.


Nicole Krauss's The History of Love.

The back cover intrigued me. The first page captivated me. I started reading it this morning while I waited for my mechanic to put on my snow tires, and it made me want to stay in the stuffy, overheated waiting room as long as I could.

I'm officially hooked.

I just Googled The History of Love to find a cover shot to upload, and I found this blurb, which includes these words:
This novel is fragile and robust like spider’s silk, showing how the stories of others become entwined with ours, and how the act of writing can in itself be an act of love and solace, of fearless trust in unknown readers to connect with characters, ideas, and emotions...

Yes. This is most definitely the book for me.

6 comments:

kristen said...

You are going to LOVE this book. I wish I had thought to mention it. But I loved, loved, loved it!!! I can't wait to hear what you have to say after you turn the last page...

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that you got 48 suggestions for books and the one you found that has caught your attention is one that wasn't even listed.

I thought you wanted something that wouldn't make you cry and didn't feature a child in pain?

Just read the review on Amazon. "Fourteen-year-old Alma Singer vacillates between wanting to memorialize her dead father and finding a way to lift her mother's veil of depression. At the same time, she's trying to save her brother Bird, who is convinced he may be the Messiah, from becoming a 10-year-old social pariah." Children in pain, tear jerker material for sure.

And "Leo Gursky is a retired locksmith who immigrates to New York after escaping SS officers in his native Poland, only to spend the last stage of his life terrified that no one will notice when he dies." Sounds like a tear jerker to me!

Enjoy your book.

MOM-NOS said...

Anon, I got far more than 48 suggestions. Many of them came via e-mail, and this was one of those.

"Won't make my cry" and "does not involve pain in any way" are entirely different things. As I said in the original post, I was looking for Kavalier and Clay (More WWII Nazi themes and packed with human struggles), Assassination Vacation (a brief history of Presidential murder), or a Rochelle Krich mystery (which, by definition, involve someone dead or in crisis).

Sorry you're disappointed in my choice. Luckily, I'm pleased with it.

mcewen said...

A truly apt choice.
Cheers

Drama Mama said...

Yum-mo. Can't wait for Xmas break to read it.

I'm slowly rehabilitating from my acute ADD with a Jodi Picoult novel. Tearjerking and hurt children, fer sure.

Enjoy, dear friend.

kyra said...

oh, thank you! i'm going to look for the very same one. and maybe even convince dave we need snow tires. xxx