Monday, October 22, 2007

Grand theft meme

Rules and conventions of the blogosphere be damned!

I'm posting my responses to a meme. The thing is, I have not actually been tagged for the meme; I just read about it at Bubandpie. And, though Bubandpie was tagged, she didn't really respond to the meme. Bren, the person who tagged her, did respond to the meme, but I tracked back and discovered that Erin, the person who tagged Bren, had thrown meme-ing caution to the wind and just went and made the darned thing up.

So, given the rampant flouting of the rules that has defined this meme so far, I'm stealing it.

What song is in your head?

Chris Cagle's "What Kinda Gone." It's the story of a guy whose partner slams the front door and gets into her car saying something that sounds like "I'm gone." The singer doesn't think much about it until hours pass, she's still not home, and he starts thinking about what exactly "I'm gone" might have meant:

These days "gone" can mean so many things:
There's "gone for good" and there's "good and gone,"
There's "gone" with a "long" before it;
I wish she'd been just a little more clear.
There's "gone for the day," "gone for the night,"
And "gone for the rest of your dog-gone life."
Is it a whiskey night, or just a couple beers?
I mean, what kinda "gone" are we talking 'bout here?

It's just the sort of word-obsessive sentiment that I might have written myself.

What is the newest album in your collection?

Tricky question. The latest actual CD - real, live, take-it-out-of-a-plastic-jewel-case-and-hold-it-in-your-hands CD - that I bought was Paul McCartney's Memory Almost Full. But I'm an iTunes kind of gal. I'm all about the download. And really, I'm all about the single-track download - the most recent of which was Billy Currington's "I Got A Feelin'."

What is the top album on your wish list?

If I were going to download an album today, it would be Keith Urban's Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing.

What is the most recent live music event you attended?

Brad Paisley, with opening acts Taylor Swift, Kellie Pickler, and Jack Ingram. Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun.

What is the top live music event on your wish list?

I wish I was going to be here tomorrow night.

A bit more about live music: I saw a lot of live music in my teens and twenties, but I've seen significantly less in the Post-Bud years. I've probably seen Elvis Costello the greatest number of times - I'd guess it's somewhere around a dozen. I've seen him with the Attractions, with the Imposters, with the Brodsky Quartet, with Nick Lowe, and on his own. I've seen him skinny and edgy; I've seen him heavy and bearded. I've seen him indoors and outdoors, in large venues and small ones, from the second row and from the balcony. And it's been a great show every time.

Paul McCartney must run a close second for the number of shows seen (though he's a clear first for best show of all time). Leo Kottke probably comes in third.

What are the top three albums currently in rotation at your house?

Again, I'm not all that album-oriented these days, but I'd have to say that between Bud and me, the highest-rotation albums at our house are all Dierks Bentley - his self-titled debut, Modern Day Drifter, and Long Trip Alone. They're actually Bud's CD's, but he lets me listen to them.

I'm tagging no one, since I'm not playing by the rules anyway, but should you choose to join this little den of iniquity, post a comment so I can follow the link and read your answers!


kristen said...

I'm with you. Every now and then you have to break the rules, don't you think?

I can't seem to paste in the link, it gets cut off. But thanks for this. I could talk about music forever...

March Day said...

The song going through my head right now after reading your post? Alan Jackson's "She's Gone Country" -

She's gone country, look at them boots
She's gone country, back to her roots
She's gone country, a new kind of suit
She's gone country, here she comes

BTW, did you wear cowboy boots and hat to the Brad Paisley show?

kristina said...

The song in my head is from M.I.A.'s new album, Kala, "Paper Planes":

I fly like paper, get high like planes.....
I got more records on me than the KGB.....

And of course Neko Case:

Knock loud, I'm home, just sleeping to past hte time (from Canadian Amp)

MOM-NOS said...

March Day, no cowboy boots or hat for me... yet. :)

Daisy said...

I just stocked up on books; now I should treat myself to some good tunes. If I do this, it might not be right away. My Christmas music collection, however, is extensive and growing...

Casdok said...

Yes sometimes its good to break rules!!

Her Bad Mother said...

I think that memes are totally meant to be fiddled with (especially music memes, heh)

The perpetually in my head? Rubber Duckie.

David said...

I like this non-meme of yours, since music is pretty important to me. Don't do concerts though, since I cannot control the volume and it's always painfully loud.

These days I'm listening to Nellie McKay, Sigur Ros, Regina Spektor, etc. Recently though I purchased from iTunes a couple of 10 year old tunes from a band called "Sixpence None The Wiser"- stupid name huh? Bought "Kiss Me" and "There She Goes", two of their bigger hits.

On the country-ish side, I like Shawn Colvin, Catie Curtis, Patty Griffin ... not too country-ish though are they?

Here's a little mix CD playlist I've been listening to a lot ... it's a jpeg screen capture.