Friday, September 07, 2007

Nice and easy (down the road I go)

I think "nice" gets a bad rap.

According to conventional wisdom, "nice girls" in high school spend their Saturday nights at home playing Scrabble with the family. And, of course, everyone knows that "nice guys finish last."

But here's the thing: I wasn't home much on Saturday nights during my teenage years, and a respectable finish is generally important to me. But, every day, I try - I try really hard - to be nice. In fact, there are lots of things I'd like to be - lots of things I try to be: intelligent, capable, strong, creative; but, really, none of them would mean a thing to me if I couldn't have the nice.

Nice matters.

And that's why I am particularly delighted to have been selected by Niksmom for the Nice Matters Award. She explains it this way:
This award is for those bloggers who are nice people; good blog friends and
those who inspire good feelings and inspiration. Also for those who are a
positive influence on our blogging world. Once you’ve been awarded please
pass it on to 7 others who you feel are deserving of this award.

It's difficult to name just seven nice bloggers, because it seems the blogosphere is full to the brim with nice people. (And as I've been tracking the stats, not one of them is poised to finish last.) So I tried to think of people I have not bestowed other award-memes upon, but who have been particularly nice to me.

So here, for the record, are seven of the nicest people I've (n)ever (actually) met:

Neil from At My Table


For What It's Worth

Mom to Mr. Handsome from Hooray! I Did It! Way To Go!

Daisy from Compost Happens

Drama Mama from Like a Shark

Dierks Bentley, a nice blogger with nice hair


kristen said...

Oh yes, this is well-deserved! You ARE nice and all the other stuff too.

Can't wait to visit your choices to see who they pick.

Niksmom said...

Like another mom we both know and love, you are the reason I decided to start blogging. Betcha didn't know that, huh? True. Nice people influence others to do positive things. Thanks! xo

Drama Mama said...

I am clutching my bosom and digging my toe in the dirt. Shucks. You're like the cool high school Senior and I'm the Freshman adoring you from afar. You help all of us wear our NOS so well -

Thanks from the bottom of my blogging little heart.

kristina said...

Nice is as nice does, and then some...

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Well, you are nice. I love stopping by your virtual living room.

neil said...

Funny isn't it, but sometimes being nice isn't just what you want to hear. I remember in my younger dating days I hated to hear, "You're really nice, but..." It was a death sentence. These days of course, it is a real compliment, but then, I'm older and hopefully, wiser. Thank-you!

name said...

Good for you and good for them. I am unable to comment upon what teenagers male or female, do or did on Saturday nights, far too much continental drift.
Best wishes

Daisy said...

Thank you so much! I am flattered, very much flattered. You are very deserving; I only hope I can live up to it.

bubandpie said...

That you consider me nice means a lot. (Also, to be in the company of Dierks Bentley!)

Did's mom said...

Not only nice, but funny. I read other blogs for information, support but yours for the above but also amusement. I'd read yours even if I didn't have PDD son. i've noticed that by being nice you've also attracted the help of some nice people i.e. the lifeguard and Dierks Bentley.

kristi said...

Awwwwwwwwwww that's so nice! LOL!

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

Thank you so much for the award MOM-NOS. It was just the thing I needed at the end another beautiful summer day.


for what it's worth said...

Well thank you!
I have appreciated your support both with the blog and of course the emails.
My purpose in writing has always been to bring a little of myself to others and hopefully to edify them. We could all use a little more kindness in our thank you again!!!!