Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It takes a Nashvillage

The wonderful folks at Bud's school work hard to develop systems that will help him learn to self-regulate. They pay attention to the things that matter to him, and they make their plans with those things in mind. So, when they know that he may have difficulty when the classroom aide is on her lunch break or when they know he'll need some down-time after a job well done, he's given structured choices that often include the option of listening to a book on tape or listening to music through headphones.

So it should not have come as a surprise to me when I walked into his classroom this morning and his teacher held up the CD she'd just purchased to have available in the classroom for him: Dierks Bentley's Long Trip Alone.

It is a very good feeling to know that when it comes to the collaboration between school and home, we are all, quite literally, playing from the same sheet of music.

11 comments:

kristen said...

It sounds like Bud is in a wonderful school with kind and caring teachers and staff. As parents, what more can we ask for?

Glad to see your post this morning. Missed you and hope all is well!

mommy~dearest said...

That's awesome in the gives-you-warm-fuzzies type of awesome.

Niksmom said...

Sounds like the teacher is very "in-tune" (sorry, couldn't resist the bad pun) with Bud's needs and with creating a consistency of method and environment. Xould we clone her and send her south to DE?

Ami said...

How kind of his teacher, and how wonderful that she's cognizant of what he really NEEDS.

Sounds like a winning situation.

for what it's worth said...

Sounds like Bud has a gem this year as well. I sat with a student this morning and made a list of "choice" activities for regulating and/or reward. He was pleasantly surprised to learn that I knew which Wii games were good and who Death Cab for Cutie is. More proof that we are all more alike than we are different

Anonymous said...

that made my heart sing...mh

Casdok said...

Its so nice to know your child has a great teacher.

Drama Mama said...

Now that's a teacher.

Bannie said...

Glad you are back and hope everything is well....I read "10 things...." and I am implementing many of the suggestions ( I'm stimming (as if I didn't before!)I'm a regular at the swingset these days and I'm splashing in water and blowing bubbles....and I'm letting my little guys win more battles (I have a little guy who won't eat and I let him feed me....with a spork (ow!)and he matches me bite for bite! My mouth is sore but lunch is not the nightmare it once was! and I'm thinking about "behaviors" differently. Great book! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for answering my last question....I completely agree that sarcasm is PG13 and best not used with any child. I have another question....Have the students at Bud's school received sensitivity training about children with autism? and if so how was it presented and received?
New favorite songs..."Band of Brothers" by Dierks Bentley and "if love was a plane" by Brad P. Happy Days!!!!!!

Daisy said...

Wow. Just wow. This teacher is a gem.

David said...

A Nashvillage indeed! That works on SO many levels. Nice gesture by the teacher. After a small YouTubing, have to say that Dierks Bentley is A-OK. Ever wonder what draws Bud to the country tunes?