Saturday, April 21, 2007

Ever Present Past

It's been a tough week.

A national tragedy, and then some troubling implications. A messy virtual living room. Illness on the home front. Severe weather that kept Bud's school closed for the better part of the week. Grandparents out of town, necessitating some scrambling to cover Bud's schedule shift while juggling a very heavy work load at the office. Resulting dysregulation for all concerned. And on top of it all, ongoing issues with our septic system that have created unlivable conditions and will be expensive to rectify. We are - quite literally - up to our ears in it these days.

And then - in keeping with the pattern of the last almost-thirty years - it's Paul McCartney to the rescue.

His upcoming album, Memory Almost Full, won't be released until June 5. Despite persistent and pervasive rumors in Macca-circles on the Web that the first single, "Ever Present Past," would be released to radio stations yesterday, I've yet to read any confirmation that the song has actually hit the airwaves.

But today, I discovered that the song has surfaced on the Web - you can listen to it here. It's terrific.

Actually, I don't know if you'll like it or not - I lost all perspective on that sort of thing a long time ago. But I'll tell you this - it is, without question, just the thing I needed today.

For those surfing in from Google who are looking for more information, the lyrics appear below. They suggest the difficulty of living life and moving forward with a very public, and therefore always present, past.

I get it. I do. And I wish Paul nothing but peace and happiness in his here-and-now. But I have to admit that I'm comforted by the knowledge that much of his past can remain ever-present for me.


Ever Present Past (McCartney)

I’ve got too much on my plate
Don’t have no time to be a decent lover
I hope it isn’t too late
Searching for the time that has gone so fast
The time that I thought would last
My ever present past

I’ve got too much on my mind
I think of everything to be discovered
I hope there’s something to find
Searching for the time that has gone so fast
The time that I thought would last
My ever present past

The things I think I did
I do, I think I did
The things I think I did
When I was a kid

I couldn’t understand a word that they were saying
But still I hung around and took it all in
I wouldn’t join in with the games that they were playing
It went by, it went by, in a flash
It flew by, it flew by, in a flash

There’s far too much on my plate
Don’t have no time to be a decent lover
I hope it’s never too late
Searching for the time that has gone so fast
The time that I thought would last
My ever present past

The things I think I did
I do, I think I did
The things I think I did
When I was a kid
When I was a kid

4 comments:

Professor said...

Oh thank you. I'm glad you got the thing you needed. That's lovely.

kristina said...

As it happens I had just downloaded a new CD from iTunes last week and it's been my listening, thinking, meditating music for this week of too much.

for what it's worth said...

I love your 'rock'. Music is definitely mine. I have spent a lot of time listening to it and singing as loudly as I can with it. One can't feel angry, upset etc while being in the music. I don't know where I would be without Paul and the gang, Mr. Gordon Sumner, and so very many others.
Can we dance in your house?

WarriorMom said...

I hope things get better for you.