Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Ad nauseum

We are currently in the midst of a bit of a blogging hiatus due to illness - Bud's and mine. I had called in sick to work yesterday to stay home and sleep away a head cold, but about an hour into my slumber I got a call from Bud's school reporting that he had delivered a bold display of sickness on the floor of the classroom.

The display continued all day long, as Bud was unable to hold down even a sip of water.

By late afternoon I started to get concerned about dehydration (which he'd experienced once before as a toddler and which I hope we never encounter again), so Nana and I packed him up and made the 45-minute journey to the doctor's office. Bud was sick in the car on the way, so we spent the trip issuing soothing reassurances about the outcome of the doctor's evaluation - "the doctor will help you feel better," "the doctor will see if you need medicine," "the doctor will take care of your tummy."

The doctor checked him out and was not concerned about dehydration yet, so we were able to forego the IV drips and anti-nausea suppositories I'd been imagining, and we headed home with only a plan for droppers full of Gatorade at 10 minute intervals.

We piled back into the car and were about five minutes into the return trip when Bud's sickness returned. As he hung over the bucket Nana held in front of him, his ears must have been ringing with the empty promises we'd made about the restorative power of a doctor's visit, because when the wave of sickness passed, Bud lifted his heavy head and from behind sunken eyes and sallow skin he said sadly, "It didn't work."

The good news is that after a mostly-sleepless night and many, many droppers full of Gatorade, we both seem in better shape today. We're still cocooned on adjacent couches, but Bud has graduated to toast and bananas and seems to be holding his own... as it were. If things continue to progress this way, we should return to our regularly scheduled blog-reading and comment-posting in no time.

Be well, blogosphere friends. We miss you.

20 comments:

Kitt said...

Gosh, that sounds miserable. I hope you both feel better soon!

Ange said...

Had to delurk to wish you wellness. Here's to long naps and quick recovery for both mom and son.

kirsten said...

get well soon! i hate when the kiddos are sick. so sad!

Kristen said...

Oh God, the stomach virus is the worst. We had it last month and it went through both kids, my husband, my dad....I was the lucky one. We ended up in the ER for dehydration the night before my daughter's birthday party. They were so sick. It's so sad to see them that way. And unfortunately, we didn't get the old "24 hour" bug thing. It lasted over a week. So if I were you, I would stick to the banana, rice, applesauce, toast diet for a few days.

Good Luck! Poor Bud....hope he's feeling better soon!

Wendy said...

Two of my kids have the stomach virus as well and one of my kids has the headcold. My house is not a fun place to be right now!

Hope you're both feeling better soon!

kristina said...

We miss you, too! Sleep is best..... Hope Nana stays well.

Club 166 said...

Well wishes to you and Bud.

Glad to hear that perhaps the worst is over.

We can always tell when Buddy Boy is getting sick, as all of his hyperactivity goes away. I feel guilty, because I kind of like it.

Another Autism Mom said...

Some of those stomach bugs are really awful. My son had the stomach flu on his second birthday and he threw up for FOUR days. And then it was four more days of diarrhea. I made sure to keep him as hydrated as possible, and he didn't need to go to the hospital.

Drama Mama said...

You poor dears! Glad to hear that you are gingerly on the mend.

I love hearing about Nana. Everyone should have one of those.

March Day said...

I hope you both are feeling better very soon!

gretchen said...

I don't like it when you're sick.

(I said this to Henry once in a soothing voice, with a kiss on the forehead, and now he always prompts me to say it at the slightest sniffle. I guess he finds it comforting, so I hope you and Bud do, too.)

I don't like it when you're sick.

Jennifer said...

Ugh. Hope you're both well on the road to recovery. Stomach bugs are just awful!

Mommyof3 said...

Feel better, nos-family. We miss you when you are away.

Daisy said...

Oh, my, good luck to both of you! I'll think warm, healthy thoughts and funnel them your way.

mothersvox said...

And to the chorus of resounding get well wishes, we add ours . . . Feel better . . . the stomach full this year is a miserable one!

Christine said...

Oh no! The only thing worse than having a sick child is being sick at the same time!!

Feel better.

LAA and Family said...

Hope you both feel better soon! We had a spell of throwing up over the weekend with my baby girl, but it was over in a few hours. Strangely, nobody else in the family got it, though we did feel a little bit queasy.

KAL said...

Hope you both are sitting up soon! And that dad-nos has escaped the dreaded visitor. Feel better.

kyra said...

YIKES! feel better! it WILL pass!

sending our **************

we had the same thing. ALL THREE OF US AT THE SAME TIME. ugh. the only other time fluffy threw up like that was 2 years ago when we ended up in the ER for IV fluids. he was TERRIFIED when he started throwing up this last round that he'd be headed for the same. thank goodness, it wasn't necessary.

BoosMom said...

Boo says precisely the same thing! Any time he is given medicine for a cough or runny nose, the very next cough or sniffle causes him to cry in a despairing tone "It didn't wooooork!" :)