Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Coffee on the rock

Paul McCartney is merging with Starbucks.

Okay, not quite. But almost. Here is the speculation. Here is the (admittedly somewhat sketchy) confirmation.

I swear I am not behind this.

I know, I know - corporate sponsorship and blah, blah, blah. But McCartney is not new to corporate sponsorship. His recent tours (and by "recent" I mean, of course, within the past twenty years) have been underwritten, first by a major credit card company and then by a financial investment firm. So, really, if it's going to happen anyway, then Starbucks is at least a step in the right direction.

As I wrote yesterday, Paul McCartney is a touchstone for me. But coffee is at least a runner-up.

So, really. Let's look at this: Great coffee at the concerts. Great music at the coffee shop.

This partnership rocks.

4 comments:

SUS said...

Slightly off-topic, but being the Beatles/Paul freak that you are, I thought you might enjoy some of these Scottso soundclips. (I highly recommend the "McCartney's Let's Hear..." one:
http://scottmuni.com/audio/

Erin said...

Let's hope it works out better than his last marriage. Mother should have warned him about one-legged models.

MOM-NOS said...

Erin, yes. I tried - I really tried - to be magnanimous about the whole thing, but really, as I watch this messy, messy business play out in the press all I can do is shake my head slowly and think, "My friend, you are the only person who didn't see this coming from the start."

MOM-NOS said...

3/21/07, Update: The deal is done!