Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Sour dreams

I don't usually dream at night - or, rather, if I do dream, I don't remember it in the morning. Based on my experience last night, I guess I should be grateful.

Last night it seemed like I had permutations of the same dream all night long. I say "it seemed," because you know how blurry dream-reality is: I was at your house, but it wasn't your actual house but I knew in the dream that you lived there. And then Tom Cruise showed up, except that he was your Uncle Mel...

Anyway, through my dreams I seemed to spend the entire evening in my office in conversation with a friend/colleague. And in a chipper voice, all night long, she said things like this to me:

"I don't know why people always say you're such a sourpuss. You're not like that at all."

"I mean, really, I just don't see why you get such a bad rap for being so grumpy. Where does that come from?"

"Because, seriously, that's all people talk about. You'd think from the way they talk that you're just an ogre. It doesn't make any sense."

"Of course you're in a bad mood sometimes - everybody is. But, really, why should you have such a reputation for being so grouchy? It's just not fair..."

All. Night. Long.

The first time it happened I woke up, thought "that was weird," and rolled over and went back to sleep.

But there she was again: "You're just not that difficult to deal with. You don't deserve that."

By the time morning came, I wanted to kick her in the teeth.

I don't know where it came from. She and I have a terrific relationship. There's been no significant tension at work. Maybe I just feel like I've been grumpy lately.

We're both at work today, and I've spent the morning wanting to walk into her office and say, "What was all that about, anyway?"

But then I remember that she wasn't actually there last night.

So, instead, I'm going out of my way to be perky and cheery and full of holiday spirit.

'Cause, you know, I don't want to get a reputation...


Wendy said...

So by the time morning came, you *were* grumpy?! :)

I'm surprised I don't have more dreams like that. I feel like I'm always grumpy and in a bad mood. Always. :(

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Jacqueline said...

Haha... this reminds me of the time my boyfriend had a dream that my little sister (16 years younger than me) was actually my daughter and he was so upset that I never trusted him enough to tell him the truth - he was mad at me all day even though he knew that it was only a dream!

Daisy said...

Kill 'em with kindness; it always keeps them guessing, whether they like you or not.

Connie said...

Ever try taking B6? It's supposed to do wonders to restore dream recollection!

mom-nos said...

Connie, if these are the kinds of dreams I'm having, I'd just as soon forget them! :-)