Thursday, November 30, 2006

Mission accomplished

About halfway through the semester, I was certain that I'd made a mistake when I'd agreed to teach a writing course, and I wondered how I'd make it through to the end.

About halfway through NaBloPoMo, I was certain that I'd made a mistake when I'd signed on to publish a post every day for the month of November, and I wondered how I'd make it through to the end.

But somewhere along the way, I experienced a shift in both areas of my life. With just two weeks left in the semester, my class has hit its stride. My students still don't love writing. In truth, most of them still find it painful. But the classroom atmosphere has changed. The students are more engaged. The conversation is more lively. The experience is more pleasant.

And today, as I publish my final NaBloPoMo post, I feel like I have hit my stride as well. I still don't love the pressure of posting every day, but I no longer find it painful. And the routine of writing every day has changed me. I feel more engaged in the process. My internal monologue about writing is more lively. And the experience is more pleasant.

I'm still eager to welcome December, scale back my posting, and wrap up my class. I'm looking forward to reclaiming my former life, both online and off. But, as often happens, I won't be stepping back into that old life; I'll be stepping forward into a new version of it.

Not bad for one month's progress, eh?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wOOt! Go MOM_NOS!!!

U.P.

Kristina Chew said...

Writing through it is working through it!

VTBudFan said...

Oh, darn, I had forgotten that this would not last. It has been so great knowing that you would post every single day - like going to the mailbox and knowing there would be a love letter, even on Sunday!

Aiden's Mommy said...

Congratulations Mom-Nos...you did it!

teal said...

I agree with vtbudfan, and the experience hit me the same way. It was such a treat to know that there would be a new post for me to read each day. It was just for me, wasn't it? (hee hee!) Mom-Nos, you are an extraordinary writer, and clearly an extraordinary parent. Sure, take some time to relax, but don't deprive your loyal following too much in December, okay? We'll all need a 12 step program for Mom-Nos withdrawal!

MothersVox said...

Congratulations on both!

bubandpie said...

I have enjoyed your posts this month so much - I get a little thrill of excitement each day when Bloglines tells me that you have updated. And considering that in general I consider NaBloPoMo to be a plot against mothers and bloggers and the whole concept of free time, that's saying a lot.

Daisy said...

What a wonderful attitude. Daily or not, I'll enjoy reading you.

neil said...

Congratulations, that was a great journey that I'm happy to have been a part of.