Saturday, November 11, 2006

Language family

I knew that Bud and I had a thing with words, but I didn't realize the extent to which my husband shares it.

One morning this week I was standing in the kitchen making Bud's breakfast when my husband entered the room and greeted me with a hearty "Thabosefolosha!"

"What?" I asked.

"Thabosefolosha!" he repeated.

Uh-oh, I thought, recognizing the tell-tale signs. "What is that?"

"Who. Thabo Sefolosha. He plays for the NBA. I can't stop saying his name. Thabo Sefolosha. Isn't it great?"

And that was that. I've been Thabosefoloshing ever since.

I imagine that if the government had an illegal wiretap monitoring conversations in our house they'd suspect they'd stumbled on to some sort of code-speaking sleeper cell when they heard the kinds of things we walk around saying:

"Thabo Sefolosha!"


"Chinese Applefarm!"

But our Blogosphere friends know the truth. We are not part of a terrorist network.

We are from France.


Kristina said...

Logophilia runs rampant!

Daisy said...

Love it! When Bud is old enough to study a world language in school, INSIST that he do so. He'll be a natural. It's not Echolalia, it's just fun with language.

kirsten said...

seriously, you've gotta stop telling me words like that!

codeman38 said...

There's a great scene in the anime Azumanga Daioh in which the character named Osaka discovers a type of Okinawan donut named saataa andagii...

...and just keeps repeating that phrase over and over.

I can so totally relate. ^_^

Anonymous said...

How about Barak Obama. I my kids love to say that.

teal said...

My uncle, an attorney who lacks typing skills, bought a voice recognition program for his computer. I overheard him repeatedly saying, "Strike that." There is some legal term "per stirpes," and all he could make the computer do was write "purse turkeys." Now, "purse turkeys" is our family phrase that guarantees laughs.