Thursday, November 16, 2006

Coffee nirvana

The tag line on my blog promises writing "on raising a son on the autism spectrum, progressive politics, pop culture, and coffee addiction". I write a great deal about my parenting journey and about the interesting twists in the road that my son's autism provides. I throw in a healthy smattering of political views from left of center, and I've added in a few suggestions about books, television, music and movies along the way. But, I have to admit, my coffee addiction has been woefully underrepresented on the blog.

The same cannot be said for my actual life, in which only parenting supersedes coffee as a draw for my time and attention.

So here it is - a post about my newest coffee-related addiction: Dunkin Donuts flavor shots.

They're unbelievable.

I'm a late-comer to this particular party because I'm not usually a fan of flavored coffees. What I've discovered, however, is that I'm not a fan of coffee made from flavored coffee beans. Flavor shots are completely different. Flavor shots take an already fantastic cup of coffee and add a little bit of heaven.

There are nine different flavors available: French vanilla, toasted almond, raspberry, hazelnut, coconut, chocolate, cinnamon, caramel, blueberry. I've not yet tried them all because as I was making my way through the list - coconut (yum), chocolate (not bad), caramel (ooo!) - it occurred to me that I was probably adding 600 calories of fat to my daily caffeine intake. So I asked a worker for some more information about them, and she told me that they were sugar-free and added a mere 20 calories per cup. (The bad news is that there is probably not a single ingredient in them that actually occurs in nature. But, you know - whatever.)

And here's where I get to the good part. In addition to answering my questions, the worker gave me a life-changing piece of information: the flavors can be combined.

"Try the Almond Joy," she said.

"The Almond Joy?" I asked.

"A three-way combo of chocolate, toasted almond, and coconut."

"Really? It's good?"

"Trust me on this one."

Luckily, I am, by nature, a trusting soul.

I'm trying to pace myself. I'm trying to limit myself to one (or two) a week, so I don't flame out too fast. But, really. Almond Joy. It really is all that.

Trust me on this one.

20 comments:

mcewen said...

Any detrimental after effects!
Cheers
http://whitterer-autism.blogspot.com

Kristina said...

I am off to make myself another cup.

gwuinifer said...

Living in espresso heaven out here, in the greater Seattle area, I can most definitely vouch for the beauty that is a well-doctored cup o' joe. I used to think that coffee flavorings were relegated to those strange oddments, the "Flavored Cremes [sic]" that are mostly hydrogenated corn syrup, and aren't AT ALL cream. But then... I moved to Washington. I was offered an Almond Roca Mocha by a trusted friend. And before I knew it, I was working as a barista. Now, five years later, I know exactly what temperature (155 F, please), what percentage fat I want my steamed milk to be (1% for the daily grind, but half and half when I'm having coffee for dessert- yum!), how many shots and/or half shots of sugar free joy I want enhancing me on a given day, and the list goes ridiculously on... Starbucks is like the McDonald's of coffee. It spread the word about espresso like McD's brought cheeseburgers to China. But if you want serious, custom tailored coffee, head to rural Washington State and pull up to any of the tiny, privately owned (and usually cleverly named) kiosks that can be found on every other street corner, and ask for the special. *grin* It's everything you never knew you always wanted. I'll let Amy at "The Brewed Awakening" know you're coming. She'll treat you right!

Shawn said...

I got hooked on Dunkin Donuts hazelnut when my wife was in the hospital recovering from her c-section with MJ. Unfortunately when they switched to the flavor shots (the beans used to come flavored) I had to switch back to regular. Something in the flavor shots caused an allergic reaction. At least I can still buy DD hazelnut beans and brew it at home!

nicole said...

i am od'ing on sbux caramel syrup lately. i buy the bottles of syrup at the store, then dribble it into my own home-brewed coffee. a splash of milk and voila! wayyyyy cheaper than making a barista concoct it for me.
i'm reasonably sure it is more than 20 calories. but i am creeped out by sugar-free sweeteners, so i accept the caloric overload.

kristen said...

See I'm usually the opposite. Like the flavored coffee from the beans not the shots. I was very disappointed when dunkin donuts switched from the beans to the shots. But this Almond Joy idea might make it worth it.....

sara-reed said...

But the MOST wonderful thing about Dunkin Donuts is the concept of the rechargable coffee card. It's like a coffee EZ Pass, you never run out of coffee money . . .

teal said...

I read an e-mail joke thing once that said, "You know you're from New England when..." and one item was "you keep a Dunkin' Donuts, a CVS, and an ATM within one mile of you at all times." It's true!!

The Dunkin' Donuts addiction I have is rather serious, but I make myself feel better by concentrating on three things: every other mom I know is equally addicted; DD coffee was rated the best coffee in America by a national magazine; and it's totally socially acceptable to walk in to someone's home, a PTO meeting, or your job carrying a DD cup. Sigh...

Natalia said...

i love DD's caramel swirl latte, with whipped cream and no extra sugar. mmmmm

Natalia said...

oh, man... Just to let you guys know... CAJETA mexican goat caramel syrup (vainilla or nuts flavor are nicest) is great in coffee. And it's sorta natural...

Tara said...

As I sit here sipping my Newman's Own Organic brew, it occurred to me that I have not yet tried these delicious shots you speak of.
Coffee makes life better. :)

Daisy said...

Mmmm. We don't have dunkin' donuts in my neck of the woods; it may be time for a road trip.

mom-nos said...

I hear you, Daisy. It used to be a road trip for us as well, but one opened nearby just a few months ago and it has (quite obviously) made a significant difference in my quality of life.

Gwuinifer, I had my first latte in Seattle in 1990. I've been a fan of the drink and the region ever since.

Daisy said...

Okay, you inspired me to write a coffee-related post.

Anonymous said...

where do you live momnos? and sorry, i don't like the shots, or at least the hazelnut, so now I brew Hazlenut at home.

Maybe, because you sound cool, I'll revisit the issue.

But please tell us where you live.

Anonymous said...

I was looking in Google to see if I could find any such thing as Dunkin' Dunuts' coffee syrup that they use to put in your coffee, and I ran into your site! I LOVE Dunkin' Dunuts coffee. I thought I could find where I could get their syrups that they use, but didn't see any. I buy gourmet coffee at the store - hazelnut. That's been my favorite for a lot of years. But it just doesn't taste as good as Dunkin' Dunuts coffee. I discovered coconut and that's also now my favorite lately. I just thought maybe I can find their syrups and get them online.

But I looked more at your site and it seems we have a LOT in common. I have what amounts to Asperger's Syndrome, but I don't have all of the traits, so I was really labeled with PDDNOS. My name is Minda. How do you do?!

MOM-NOS said...

Minda! I'm delighted that you stopped by and left a comment. What a wonderful coincidence that you surfed over here. I hope you'll be back. I'd love to get to know you.

As for the coffee flavors, I've tried to find a way to order them as well, but as far as I can tell they aren't available. My current favorite is actually blueberry, which I resisted for a long time because it just didn't sound right. But I'm a convert. It's fantastic. (It's not for everyone, though. My friend had a sip of mine and said "It tastes like someone put a blueberry bagel in my coffee, only I didn't want it there." Maybe it's an acquired taste.

Anonymous said...

Try the raspberry !!!!

Anonymous said...

Here is a link to a site that sells flavors for coffee

http://www.everythingcoffee-tea.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_16&products_id=1024

Again Try the raspberry.

Danielle said...

I love the caramel. I love your posting. I'm also addicted to Dunkin coffee. The best seasonal flavor is Pumpkin Spice, which sadly does have sugar. But, why not indulge over the holidays :) I stumbled upon your blog in the search for the manufacturer of their flavor shots. I'd love to have the caramel in my cabinet. I've tried other brands from the supermarket and none measure up.