Thursday, October 26, 2006

Effects are the lifelong-iest

As I've mentioned before, Bud often uses echolalia when he speaks. But he doesn't just quote short statements. He recites entire video scripts from start to finish, adopting accents and dialects as appropriate and even including sound effects and background music. He has a future in television or theater if he wants one.

He does the same thing with music. He learns songs thoroughly. He learns the drum beat, the bass line, the guitar solo, the pauses, and the background vocals, but mostly he learns the lyrics. At three years old, Bud could not sustain a back-and-forth conversation beyond Me: Do you want juice?, Bud: Okay, but he could sing Paul McCartney's Band on the Run from the first note through the last without missing a beat.

Some of his favorite music these days comes from the children's channel Noggin, whose host - the very talented Moose A. Moose - appears between programs to perform a wide array of musical numbers. The Noggin songs are terrifically complex, and they never underestimate a child's capacity to sustain interest in music with complicated melodies, syncopation, or lyrics. Bud adores them all.

Yesterday at school, the spirit moved Bud and he burst forth into song. His teacher, Mrs. Parker, had heard him perform this particular number before, but he'd never sung it with the full class as audience. She seized the moment, set aside the current lesson plan, yielded the floor, and let Bud take center stage as he performed for them all, singing at full voice, with complete note-for-note and word-for-word accuracy:

Days are the sunniest
Jokes are the funniest
Rabbits are the bunny-est
Hives are the honey-est
Elephants the ton-iest
Troubles - they're the none-iest

Everywhere I go!

Straws are the bend-iest
Time is the spend-iest
Cards are the send-iest
Books are the lend-iest
Fun's the pretend-iest
Friends are the friend-iest

Everywhere I go!

Berries are the fruit-iest
Shoes are the boot-iest
Puppies are the cute-iest
Treasure is the loot-iest
Teams are the root-iest
Horns are the toot-iest

Everywhere I go!

Birds are the tweet-iest
Candy is the sweet-iest
Socks are the feet-iest
Tricks are the treat-iest
Drums are the beat-iest
Lunch is the eat-iest

Everywhere I go!

Flowers are the smelliest
Jams are jelly-est
Rain's the umbrell-iest
Tales are the tell-iest
Wishing is the well-iest
Buttons are the belly-est

Everywhere I go!

Skies are the blue-iest
Cows are the moo-iest
Gum is the chewiest
Ghosts are the boo-iest
Goo is the gooey-est
You can be your you-iest

Everywhere I go!

The other children in the class were delighted. Some of them knew the song and joined in on the lyrics they remembered. But Bud was the only person in the whole class who could sing every word.

And he knew it.

He tried to downplay his achievement last night, acting as though it was no big thing... but he couldn't keep the smile from crossing his lips as Nana recounted the story of his performance to Daddy.

Bud was proud.

And so, in his honor, I offer you this final verse, penned by me:

Bud is the the song-iest
His teacher's cheers are strong-iest
The kids are sing-along-iest
And worries are so-long-iest
Cause school is can't-go-wrong-iest
When Bud feels the belong-iest

Everywhere he goes!

19 comments:

Daisy said...

Another thing Bud has in common with my teen-age Amigo! He remembers line after line, song after song, and I truly think he'll work in radio or television because he has a fabulous memory and no stage fright.

for what it's worth said...

Bravo!!
How terrific that all the kids shared in his accomplishment.

leila said...

Maybe he should meet my son when they're older and form an ASD boy band. : ) What amazes me most is how he can sing in tune being only three. Most kids that age sing off key.

leila said...

Just one more thing... I'm delighted to see he's happy at school, and that he's got such a cool teacher.

MOM-NOS said...

Leila, Bud is actually 7 now. He could carry a tune when he was 3, though. (And just to clarify, he is not a "savant" with perfect pitch or anything. He's just quite a nice singer.)

Ms Clark said...

amazing. I hope you get some of it on video. Not to put on the internet, but to save for yourselves. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I can SO see myself in Bud. As he gets older, if you can possibly help it, don't ever let him get ahold of a Monty Python DVD. :-)

U.P.

Kristina Chew said...

The sing-iest and the sweet-iest!

gretchen said...

Gotta love noggin! (And Bud!)

Funny you wrote about this today-I thought of you this morning when Tommy started singing along with "Silly Love Song" (the "I love you" part).

Kristen said...

Our latest fav is "I Don't Like Candy Corn". Who says TV is bad? My kids learn a lot from that Moose A. Moose!!

Anonymous said...

This is great! We are big fans of Noggin here and although I love that song, I do not know ALL the words and neither does my boys who watch a lot. Well, maybe Roo does and he is just not telling us...yet.

kyra said...

yes! bud IS the song-iest! and i so love this post-iest!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I decided to check in and found that Bud is not only thriving but is so happy he breaks out in song!!
Yay!!!
A star is born.

Anonymous said...

Charlie love to sing, but he invents the words as he hears them. He loves the Helicopter Song (A.K.A. Goodbye Saigon, by Billy Joel), but when it says:

"We promised our mothers we'd write"

He sings

"We promise our mothers some rice"

At least I know I'll get fed.

MothersVox said...

And your post is the toastiest, the mostiest, the fab-los-iest.

The cheeriest, the deariest, and most tear-jerking-ear-iest.

Three cheers for you and Bud.

Can't wait for your book.

After you get done with the month of posts. :)

Kristen said...

I'm sure you've heard about the Cutie Karaoke contest on Noggin....I think you should sign Bud up!

MOM-NOS said...

Sadly, Kristen, it's a preschool competition so Bud has aged out. It wouldn't have been fair anyway - this cutie would have walked away with it and the other poor contestants wouldn't have had a chance.

Lexee said...

Wow! I can't believe there are others out there who have to listen to this song over and over! :) I am a mother of a 10 month old...who I just started blogging about... and she adores this song. We have actually "tivo-ed" it and play it for her several times a day. Thank you for the lyrics...the "tales they are the telliest" line has been bothering me and my hubby for a couple months. Sad but true. I look forward to reading your blog!

Monica said...

I found this post searching for lyrics to the Noggin song, which I haven't heard in about a year, but got stuck in my head for no good reason today.

Yay for Bud's singing! Now that he's older, you might want to leave the songwriting to him, though ;).