Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Weirdness

I've been tagged by Autism Diva, and challenged to reveal five weird things about myself.

1. I am intensely private (which makes exercises like this almost physically painful.) It took me months to talk about my blog to anyone who knows me personally. Since then, several people have said that they've learned more about me in the months they've been reading the blog than they did in years of knowing me.

2. I loathe talking on the telephone. I adore long face-to-face coffee-sipping conversations with friends, but move those same conversations to the telephone and I start to itch.

3. I enjoy reality television. People often seem surprised by this. I must give off some sort of poseur intellectual PBS vibe or something, but give me So You Think You Can Dance any day of the week.

4. When I go out to dinner with a group of people I like to be the last person to order in case someone else orders something that sounds more appealing than what I had in mind. I especially like it when the person right before me orders something that sounds good, so that all I have to say is "I'll have that, too."

5. I have this thing with words.

An additional weird thing about me is that I want everyone I know to feel loved, included and appreciated, and the practice of "tagging" particular individuals feels so much like choosing sides in third grade kickball that it ties my stomach in knots and makes me sweat. Therefore, if you would like to share your weirdnesses, I invite you to do so. Leave a comment here so that people can follow the link to your blog. If you don't have a blog, feel free to self-disclose in the comments section here. And know that you will be loved and appreciated, weirdness and all.

10 comments:

Susan Senator said...

Oh, Mom NOS, you are too sweet! I guess I have been enjoying finally being chosen for third grade kickball a little too much! :-)

I love what you have shared. thanks for doing it!

Waxhaw5 said...

That WAS sweet (there's no other word, sorry, Susan)! I identify to a scary degree with your first two "weird things." Mothers of autistic children flock together, or some such thing...

But reality TV? Not since Brides in Alaska! And your thing with words is priceless. Have a great day! :)

Autism Diva said...

Hi Mom,nos,

Autism Diva agrees with the difficulty of choosing others. Autism Diva was afraid to choose some bloggers because she figured they were tooooo serious to blog about their own weirdness. Not that your blog is merely fluff or anything like that. You have a great blog. Autism Diva is also intensely private and would never discuss certain things even with friends face to face. Autism Diva has the same thing with words that won't leave the brain. Chinese Applefarm.

kirsten said...

my new stuck-word is 'indefatigable' - we've been watching 'horatio hornblower' dvd's.

gretchen said...

Hell, I post about my weirdness every day on my blog- see the recent post about fear of escalators, and the one about obsession with every book I read.

Tara said...

After readng your post I have come to the conclusion that you are not weird- in my humble opinion you are intelligent and thoughtful and invested in your son. I am surprised to learn of your appreciation of reality t.v. The only reality t.v. I have watched regularly and enjoyed is Hell's Kitchen, and I am one weirdo woman!!
My new favorite word is ostensibly.

Kristina Chew said...

I second Tara--not weird at all! Wonderful, of course.

Christine said...

Hey, I have the same thing about the phone, too. I hate it. But I tell all my friends that I'm just worried about getting cauliflower ear, which somehow sounds so much more reasonable to me.

herself said...

I'm delighted to have come across your blog. I'm a bit OT for this post -- I read the one about waiting for a new multidisciplinary team. -- Keep focused on your son, not the service providers. They are only your researchers and support. I know from experience. My older boy was given the pdd-nos label at 2 1/2 with a DQ of 65. I did not do anything I was ordered to do by Lovaas' cohort, or by my pediatrician, who wanted me to medicate him and put him through brain scans and blood tests. This child is now applying to university having scored 730 verbal 740 math.

When he was small and folks asked me "What's wrong with your son?" or "What does he have?" I would smile and say he has a severe case of Seamusitis (His name is Seamus) and it is incurable (or terminal depending on my mood). Then I would ask with an expression of grave concern, "And what is wrong with you?"

Your ability to see your son for who he is will steer you right at every turn. Enjoy your journey. I ask the families I now work with: Which do you think is the worse option: False Hope, or False Despair? I don't take on clients who think "False" Hope is worse. I myself would not be able to live with myself if I discovered that through false despair, I had done less for my child than I should have.

Mama2TheKid said...

I realize this post is extremely old, but I had to finally comment on one of your posts....

I found your blog through a recommendation from another blog (autism with a side of fries, I think), and the first posts I read were the hair-dryer brain in a toaster world - and I've been hooked ever since.

I'm commenting on this old post because I'm reading your blog from the beginning. Your approach to your son's autism seemed so in step with how I feel, I wanted to know how you dealt with things when Bud was younger - my son is almost 5.

I have to say, I feel like I'm reading about my son and, in a lot of ways, about me. So much of what you post is exactly what I've been thinking/feeling, but your words are much more eloquent and well thought out than I could hope to put in writing.

I want to say a heartfelt "thank you" for choosing to blog about your life and Bud's life. It has helped me to know there are others out there who have "gone before" and can share their wisdom with those of us farther behind on this bumpy road.

I've recently started my own blog, mostly as a way to help get my thoughts out of my head, but I haven't told anyone about it yet. And this post of yours is as far as I've gotten in reading your blog (chronologically), but I am learning so much from you and truly enjoying this trip I take through your past. So, thank you. :)