Monday, August 14, 2006

Lost time

When is the last time you had four uninterrupted hours to work on a project? If your life is anything like mine, you can't remember.

My anxiety had been building all week after I agreed to teach a course in the fall, meaning that I'd have to start planning a syllabus just as I entered the busiest time of year in my full-time job. To help preserve my sanity, my husband took Bud out for the afternoon on Saturday and I spent four focused hours in front of the computer planning the class and building a syllabus. By the time they got home I felt great, and though I still needed to do some revision I was suddenly anxiety-free. I took yesterday off, and this morning I decided to look at the document again with fresh eyes.

It's gone.

I won't get into the technical minutiae of what went awry in the downloading (but, clearly, not uploading) of files from my college account. I will just leave you with the most salient details:

Every single bit of work I did, every word I typed, every reading I identified, every assignment I constructed:

It no longer exists.

Four hours. Four rare, coveted, productive hours.

Lost.

I do have something to show for it, though: my anxiety has returned, and it's better than ever.

10 comments:

gretchen said...

uhhhh... Remember what I said before about the twilight zone?

I am so so so so sorry to hear about this- I can only imagine how you must feel.

All I can say is, next time will only take you 2 hours, and will have an even better result! Hang in there MOM.

coralseas said...

Oh, that's not good.

Hopefully you remember some of it? And it will be only two hours, as Gretchen said....

Jannalou said...

That kind of thing sucks so much!

Can't tell you how many times I've had things disappear on me like that. Now I'm really careful about where I save files on my computers.

Luck to you as you attempt to reconstruct...

Alexander's Daddy said...

If it's a Mac, I can tell you how to get it back.

MOM-NOS said...

Oh, how I wish it were a Mac.

Tara said...

Bummer.

Frog's mom said...

I hate it when that happens! But I agree with Gretchen - whenever this happens to me, I growl and fret, then sit down to redue the work and always end up with a better product. Sometimes ice-cream helps ;0)

Daisy said...

Hate it when that happens. I recommend chocolate.

Kristina Chew said...

Oh no.

I recommend a cup of the best coffee, plenty of Paul McCarthy, and the second time around will be better. It will!

(And ignore all those annoyings who say "you never can trust a computer.")

kyra said...

oh no! i'm so sorry!! i KNOW how precious those alone hours are.