Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Keep on truckin'

Bud and I played trucks last weekend.

That probably sounds like no big deal. But it is. It's a big deal.

Bud and I have never really played trucks before. He has carried trucks around before. He has made the Bob the Builder character trucks act out scenes from videos. He has occassionally spent time standing at the top of the driveway with a truck and letting go, watching it roll slowly, slowly toward the street until it stopped, then retrieving it and starting over. And over. And over.

But in the mosquito-filled dusk of last Friday night, Bud and I raced trucks down the driveway - "Ready, set... GO!" We used chalk to measure how far the trucks could travel. The Oswald characters drove a dump truck down the street to go buy cards for their friends. Trucks made mechanical vroom-vroom noises. Trucks crashed into each other. Trucks crashed into trees.

We just played trucks.

10 comments:

Daisy said...

Awesome. It's so amazing how Bud has the capability for pretend play and role-playing. You are so lucky -- and so is Bud to have such caring and intelligent parents.

Kristina Chew said...

A small, and very sweet, triumph.

mumkeepingsane said...

That's super. WTG Bud!

knittingwoman said...

I have read your blog today for the first time. I am really enjoying it and have been reading the archives. Your description of the scene on the airplane had me in tears. My 9 year old daughter is not autistic but she has non verbal learning disorder and some of her issues are ones facing autistic kids. I know how each day can be long and difficult. I will continue to read your blog and cheer for you and your son.

Tara said...

Imaginative play is a tough skill to teach!! We are seeing glimpses of this with Littleman. Good for Bud and good for you, the patient mom, fostering this progress.

for what it's worth said...

What a terrific day for you! I love sitting and playing dinosaurs with my class. We'd roar, we'd stomp, we'd eat. All the while, I was silently dancing inside. What a special triumph!

kjoel said...

A big leap for Bud, and more imaginings to come, no doubt. I couldn't believe how amazed I was when O started playing with cars, instead of parking them in nice herringbone patterns on the rug.
Great that he was playing with trucks -with- you.

tin320 said...

Such an exciting hobby you have there. No matter how simple things we do in life but as long as we are happy in doing it. There is a sense of fulfillment. Isn't it?

Christine said...

These are the kinds of small victories that really keep you going! Way to go, Bud!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...grin!
mh