Friday, August 11, 2006

Dream a little dream of me

I've mentioned before that Bud climbs into bed with us at some point every night. He usually does it quietly and without announcement. I only know he's there because I wake up with an elbow up my nose.

So I was surprised when, a few nights ago, Bud didn't slip quietly into our bed, but stayed in his own room and cried out to me: "Mama! MAMA!"

I dashed in to find him sitting up with his eyes closed. "Bud, I'm right here," I said. "What's wrong?"

"Mama! Your trunk!"

"My trunk?"




"I'm okay, honey. You're having a dream. Let's go back to sleep."

"Yes," he said, dropping face-first into his pillow. His long slow breathing told me he was sleeping heavily; he'd never really woken up.

It took me some time to fall back to sleep, though. My trunk? What do you suppose I looked like in this dream?

Never mind. I don't think I want to know.


andrea said...

Trunk, huh?


Now I'm curious, too.

MOM-NOS said...

I should have provided more context. One of Bud's favorite, favorite, favorite things is elephants.

I'm actually afraid I know exactly what I looked like...

Kristina Chew said...

My first thought was of the tree in Pocahantas.....nurturing and sturdy and giving of fruit....... And then (I'm on a Disney movie kick, I guess) to Dumbo. I am a sucker for that scene when "Baby Mine" plays and Mrs. Jumbo gives Dumbo a ride in her trunk.

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

"Trunk" ?
I was thinking "trunk" as in a piece of furniture that holds something.
Boy, was I way off!! lol
I guess that's why SD understands what Gabe says better than me :o)

Did you ask him the next morning about it?

Hooray for Bud for staying in his bed!

Camille said...

My kids got up and got into bed with me in the middle of the night when they were little, for a couple of years. I thought it was precious, if a little squishy at times.

Has he seen the movie Cars?

Trunk? Get it? Trunk? (That's boot for you Brits.)

kyra said...

MOM-NOS--if anyone can pull off a trunk, it's you!

Moi ;) said...

OMG that is really Funny.....Really....

Maybe it's like in that one Disney know the one.....

coralseas said...

Mom - NOS - have just discovered your blog and love it! You write beautifully........