Wednesday, July 05, 2006

"What did I did?"

This afternoon I was upstairs folding laundry and Bud was downstairs playing. I heard some rustling in the kitchen, but didn't think anything of it until Bud came up the stairs, his eyes twinkling with excitement and said "What did I did, Mom?"

What did I did? is the question that Bud asks when he's feeling very proud of something he's done or when he thinks he's done something that's particularly cool. He seems to be seeking acknowledgement that we, too, think it's cool and share his pride.

"I don't know, Bud. What did you do?"

"I made milk."

Uh-oh.

Bud's motor planning is not what it could be. We give him cups with covers and straws to avoid the inevitable spills that come with open cups. Pouring milk from a heavy jug could be a significant challenge for him.

"You DID?" I asked, keeping a smile plastered on my face as I pictured a frothy white river flowing through my kitchen.

"YES!" he answered. He giggled, then wriggled, unable to contain his excitement.

"I want to see it!" I said. Bud dashed for the stairs and I mentally prepared myself: He is proud of himself. He is trying to be independent. This is a very big deal to him. Don't wreck it. No matter how big the mess, it can be cleaned. Do not ruin his moment.

We walked into the kitchen and I saw a small drop of milk on the counter.

"Where is it, Bud?" I asked.

"It's over there," he said, pointing to the table.

And there, set at his place, was a full cup of milk, cover on, straw through the hole. The heavy jug of milk was back in the refrigerator, its cover on securely.

I gushed about what a big boy he was, what a great job he'd done. He beamed with pride. I decided to let the conversation about asking permission wait a while so that he could bask in the glory of his accomplishment. We sat together as he drank his milk.

I'll bet it was the best milk he's ever had.

10 comments:

Mamaroo said...

So cool!!! What a big boy he is! You did it Bud!

Kristina Chew said...

3 moos for Bud!

Octoberbabies said...

I know I've said this before, but Bud's just so damn delicious!

Sal

Tara said...

The part I like the best is Bud's wanting so much to share this with you!! Way to go Bud!!

kirstencan said...

YAY, bud!
that is so cool.

Tera said...

Awesome job, Bud!

gretchen said...

Whoa. I salute you Bud!

SquareGirl said...

Salud! *clinking my tall ice cold glass of milk with Bud's*

MothersVox said...

He's a totally big boy. And you are the best mom a boy could want! How cool are you to think all of that through beforehand? You rock.

Kaethe said...

I love reading your blog. You are just the most incredibly thoughtful mother. Thanks for the reminder to appreciate the new accomplishment and not worry so much about the spilled milk.