Wednesday, June 28, 2006

It's all in the eyebrows

It seems that Bud is not just getting good at talking about how he feels; he is also honing his ability to express emotion pictorially. Bud has started working one-on-one with Mrs. H for the summer, and in their first session he drew this picture in his journal:


She did the labeling, but the pictures are all his. This is the first time I've ever seen Bud include eyebrows in a drawing, and he uses them well - the sad face has a furrowed brow; the surprised face has eyebrows raised high; the angry face captures the ever-popular passive-aggressive "My mouth might be smiling, but my eyebrows are telling you how I really feel." (When I'm exhibiting the signs of this particular emotion Bud often raises his fingers to my face and tries to push my eyebrows back up, assuming that if we can just get those darned eyebrows to cooperate we will all feel much better. And, of course, his attempt makes me laugh, which gives me a release, which makes me feel less angry. He's a smart kid, that Bud.)

Some of the things I've read would lead me to believe that this is a Very Important Step for Bud, and though I am only reasonably pleased with this development I imagine that it's the sort of thing that would make Simon Baron-Cohen feel quite encouraged.

I wonder how that would make his eyebrows look.

5 comments:

Kristina Chew said...

I can hardly speak for Prof. Simon Baron-Cohen, but perhaps the double C of Curious and Curiouser.

kirsten said...

from another mom-nos - just found your blog - the eyebrow thing is cool! and i so relate to your post about the museum. i'm never sure how to handle it when my PDD kiddo acts like that. so hard!

Kaethe said...

You should ask Bud to draw a picture of "reasonably pleased." I'd love to see what he came up with.

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

I love how children represent surprised. It is always the most telling, because it is such a hard expression to convey in a drawing. Bravo to Bud! Who says our kids can't read emotions? Bud's all over them :o)

Kristin

kyra said...

i love the drawings!!! the eyebrows say it all!