Friday, June 23, 2006

Heart beeps

There's something in the air these days.

No, really; I mean that literally. Every couple of weeks, when there's a night when the air is full and heavy and the bedroom is humid and breezeless, Bud wakes up with fits of sneezing. It happened last night. He was already in our bed by the time it started, around 2:00 a.m. And this episode was particularly aggressive - full-body sneezes that shook the ground in rapid fire, again, again, again, and filled Kleenex after Kleenex after Kleenex. I never imagined that sinuses so small could produce so much substance. By now Bud and I both know the drill when this happens - a teaspoon of Benadryl doled out in miniscule doses, one drip on the spoon at a time, snuck in between raging sneezes and blows of the nose - followed by a juice box, Juicy Juice orange. Only Juicy Juice. Only orange. Then we wait as long as it takes for the sinal storm to subside.

Last night's wait was longer than most, as this particular allergy attack gave Bud a full aerobic workout. Finally, the sneezes stopped and Bud flopped down, exhausted, onto his belly, his face buried in the pillow. And for the first time that hour, the room was silent.

"What's that sound?" Bud asked, his face still in the pillow. I listened, but heard nothing but the soft snuffles of my husband, who always seems to be able to sleep soundly through these sneezing fits.

"I don't hear anything, Bud. What does it sound like?"

"My heart is beeping."

"It's beeping?"


I rested my head on Bud's back, and felt his racing heart drum against my ear. "It is beating very fast, Bud. Try taking some deep breaths."

Bud breathed in and out, and I kept my head on his back, willing his heartbeat to slow down and allow him to relax himself back to sleep. Then I lifted my head and moved it back to my own pillow.

"Mom, can you check my heart again?" Bud asked.

I moved closer and returned my head to his back. He snuggled in tight and, despite the increasing humidity in the room, pulled my arm around him.

"Thanks, Mom," he said, then fell asleep.

For the record, I did check his heart when I put my head down.

It was perfect.


gretchen said...

I'm so glad we have our blogs so we can record these perfect moments. I love Bud.

Tara said...

What a sweet memory for you and Bud.
I had explained that I would be late getting home from work last night and Littleman objected some but nothing major. When I arrived home I found him fast asleep with his big blue alarm clock cluthed to his chest- still waiting for mommy.