Sunday, June 11, 2006

Go fly a kite

That wasn't an insult; it was a recommendation. We had a glorious kite-flying afternoon today.

Actually, we had two false starts. We tried to fly our kite in a big, open college athletic field but, twice, moments after we had our kite aloft people arrived to walk their dogs and Bud insisted that we had to leave. For our third attempt we moved to a big, open college parking lot that's not known for its appeal to dog walkers and we had the grounds - and the skies - to ourselves. The wind was strong and warm and our kite soared toward the clouds. Bud was delighted to find that he could hold the kite string "all by myself!" and keep it in flight.

And, of course, the metaphor was striking - our big boy, his last day of Kindergarten just two days away, moving forward, reaching out, aiming high.

And flying.

5 comments:

Gina said...

Thank you for the reminder to share the joys of kite-flying with my children.

karen said...

My, my. I followed the link to the first day of kindergarten, ugh, gasp! I'll be facing the same in August. I'm sure I'm much more afraid of it than my son.

Thank you for sharing it all with us.

MOM-NOS said...

Karen, it may help to read the follow up post, which is at http://momnos.blogspot.com/2005/08/breathing-again.html

I often think these transitions are much for difficult for us than they are for our kids!

karen said...

Mom-NOS,
Thank you...what a great first day Bud had. Wow.

I have a feeling my Pete will do just fine as well. I will rejoice on that day if I, like you, do not pee my pants. :-)

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

Boo loves to fly kites! we have'nt been able to keep ours up this year yet. They just dive down to the ground :o(

I can't believe Bud is almost done with Kindergarten. I remember reading about Bud before he even started kindergarten! Where have the days gone?
Congratulations Bud!!!!
Kristin