Sunday, May 13, 2007

Remembering Katie

I have a feeling that for the rest of my life, Mother's Day will make me think of Katie McCarron. She has been on my mind all weekend. My heart has been heavy and my thoughts have been with Katie's grandfather, Mike, and the rest of their family.

I've also been thinking about a post I wrote last Mother's Day but never published. It has been sitting in Blogger in draft form for a year. I wrote it before I heard the news about Katie's death, but of course when I read it now, Katie is all I can think about. I'm not sure why I didn't publish it last year - it's difficult to crawl into a year-old psyche. Maybe I just felt too vulnerable.

After a year, though, the post has lost its power for me, so I'll publish it now, in memory of Katie and with loving thoughts for her family.


May 14, 2006
Peaceful Mother's Day

It's everywhere: Happy Mother's Day! Happy Mother's Day!

Happy!

Mothers!

Maybe it's because of the miserable weather we're having (or maybe it's something else), but today I haven't been thinking much about how happy I am to be a mother. (Though I really, really am.)

Today I've been thinking about the mothers who have lost their children; I've been thinking about the children who have lost their mothers. And I've been thinking that "happy" is too much to ask of them today.

So, instead, I wish them comfort. I wish them peace.

I wish them a day when nobody tells them to have a happy mother's day.

5 comments:

Mike McCarron said...

Mom-NOS,

Thank you for your thoughts, your company has already made my day just a little easier.

Thank you.

neil said...

I think a little tear just landed on the keyboard, hope you don't mind. More strength to you and Mike.

Daisy said...

Lump in throat...

for what it's worth said...

Thank you for (re)sharing the story of Katie, and reminding each one of us to look around, offer that guiding hand to someone who needs it. And, as always, to make a difference in a child's life. That, is what Mother's Day is all about....being a child's compass during each and every day. You my friend, set a fine example.

mumkeepingsane said...

I'm too emotional to comment properly but wanted to say thank you for that post.

We think of Katie often.