Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Nothing but love for you, Paul and Heather

I've been reading the speculation all week, but the official announcement came today: Paul McCartney and his wife, Heather Mills McCartney, are splitting up.

I imagine that McCartney will be barraged with I-told-you-so's in the coming weeks; the press and the public have rarely been kind with their comments about this marriage. But I have no I-told-you-so's to offer. Only sympathy.

It can't be easy to be the "new wife", especially when the former wife had a fairy-tale romance and a rock-solid marriage with your husband.

It can't be easy to really open yourself up again after 30 years in a rock-solid, fairy-tale relationship that ended in a devastating loss.

It can't be easy to have your every move documented in words and photographs by total strangers who believe that your personal life makes good material for their blog posts. (Uh... sorry.)

A year ago the press was full of speculation that the McCartneys had suffered a miscarriage several months into a pregnancy. They denied the rumor. On the other hand, just a couple of days ago they denied that their marriage was in trouble. I guess it's not fair of me to speculate. On the other hand, I know what it's like to lose a child. I know the toll it can take on an individual and on a marriage. I know how hard it is to look into your partner's eyes and see your own pain and grief and sorrow reflected back and magnified. It's an extraordinary partnership that can withstand that kind of loss and make it through intact - and that's without being pursued by the paparazzi and the adoring public.

So, no, there are no I-told-you-so's here - only warm thoughts and sincere wishes for healing, for comfort, and ultimately, for finding joy again.


Wendy said...

I've been waiting for you to post about this. And too funny on the blog post comment. No one can blame you though -- we all know how much you adore Sir Paul.

Kristina Chew said...

Am sure your warm wishes will be broadcast across the Atlantic.

MOM-NOS said...

Broadcast? You mean Paul doesn't read my blog? :-)

kyra said...

aw. i'm sorry about that. marriage is so hard. i wish this had worked for them and i'm not even a big paul fan.

Melanippe said...

Hi, did I ever tell you that you're fantastic? Yours are the best words I read so far about this... even counting on the fact that you're a fan ;-)