Wednesday, May 24, 2006

No words

I've found that ever since Bud was diagnosed I feel an instant connection whenever I encounter another child with autism. I recognize them. I feel related to them. It happens whether I meet them personally, see them from a distance on the playground or in the grocery store, watch them in a video, or read about them in the newspaper.

Last week I read about Katherine McCarron in the newspaper, and it happened again.

I've been struggling to find a way to write about Katherine, this little girl I will never know whose death has touched me so deeply. But, the fact is, I have no words.

No words to express the horror.

No words to express the sorrow.

No words to express the sympathy.

No words to express the outrage.

No words to express the confusion.

No words.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nope...none...mh

Anonymous said...

yeah, none.

Anonymous said...

As I read the newspaper story I felt sadness for all involved. Clearly the mother was beyond overwhelmed by her circumstances of having a special needs child. It doesn't sound clear whether or not the mother was having psychiatric issues as well. It highlights the need for families with special needs to get respite care so that they can take a break so that tragedies like this don't happen.