Friday, March 31, 2006

Wherefore art thou, Clay?

I love the poetry in Bud's language.

Spring weather is finally here, so today instead of driving to the school door to pick Bud up I parked in a more distant parking lot - the one where we parked in the fall when Bud played with Clay after school.

As we approached the car, Bud said enthusiastically, "Mama, can I go exploring?"

"Sure you can!" I said.

His enthusiasm never dimmed, but he said, "Clay is not here."

"No, he's not." I said

"It's kind of sorrow," Bud said very matter-of-factly. "Parting is such sweet sorrow." And then he skipped off to play.

Now, granted, he wasn't quoting Shakespeare directly; Bud hasn't actually read Romeo and Juliet. He was quoting Monster Clubhouse, which was quoting Shakespeare. But really - sorrow? I didn't know Bud knew what "sorrow" meant.

And, sure, it's a script - but of the dozens of hours of scripts that Bud has in his head, that is the one he pulled out: "Parting is such sweet sorrow." I wouldn't be so sad to leave you if I wasn't so happy when I'm with you.

He doesn't talk about it much, but Bud misses his friend. And he's right. Parting really is such sweet sorrow.

5 comments:

Kristina Chew said...

But good memories linger till the morrow.....

And beyond!

Lisa/Jedi said...

I love the linguistic hybrids B puts together- there is a definite poetry to them :) He coined the term "rantom" some years ago to describe his stuffed rabbits when they were being "random & rambunctious". We still use it, it's so descriptive... :)

Wendy said...

I take it no one has heard from Clay since his sudden departure from school?

Bud sounds like such an amazing little guy. I know I sound like a broken record but I just love hearing about the things that come out of his mouth. :)

Wade Rankin said...

It's always a little thrill when the script makes sense. And Bud's certainly did.

MOM-NOS said...

Actually, Wendy, there has been news: Clay may be returning to Bud's school next year. I haven't mentioned the possibility to Bud yet - next year is still a long way off - but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!