Thursday, February 09, 2006

Happy bloggiversary

I read once that when you are struggling to figure out what direction to take with your life, you should try to remember how you answered the question "what do you want to be when you grow up?" when you were ten years old. I don't remember the specific rationale, but I think it had something to do with ten being the magic age at which you knew enough about who you were, but had not yet begun to deal with the self-doubt and self-loathing of adolescence that often results in a lot of self-imposed limitations.

When I was ten years old I was certain that when I grew up I wanted to be two things: a mom and a writer.

I became a mom in 1998 when my daughter was born.

I became a writer one year ago today when I started this blog. I only recognize that in retrospect. When I started blogging, I thought it might be a fun diversion and perhaps a helpful way to keep track of Bud's development. I could not have guessed the extent to which my fellow bloggers would inspire me, challenge me, and drive me not only in my parenting, but also in my writing. I had no idea that a year later I would think of myself as a writer; that I would be a writer.

In many ways, this realization gives me a new sense of self, and with it the grown-up blogger-mom part of me is further inspired, challenged and driven to become better and to set the bar higher.

But my inner ten-year-old is positively gleeful.


Kristina Chew said...

Clap your hands say yeah! And make a good wish for yourself and all of us.

Anonymous said...

Follow what you love, and it will take you where you need to go. - Natalie Goldberg

Bonnie Ventura said...

Congrats to you and your inner ten-year-old! May you have many more happy years of blogging!

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wendy said...

And write you should! I frequently think while reading your blog that you are a terrific writer. Ever thought about writing one of those autism memoir books? I'd buy it (not only because I like your writing but also because I'm a sucker for 'em!). I love hearing about Bud. He sounds like a really neat, really smart little boy. Keep up the good work!